CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Installing the Pioneer AVIC N-2.........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To answer your questions d2Benz, no I have not tried to use the rear camera output as a way to watch DVDs while car is moving. No need to now with the N1 that I have currently in the car. It seems to me, that a few posters were unaware, me included at first, that there is a big difference in the software setup between the N1 and the N2. With the N1, the wire that goes to the parking brake can just be permanantly grounded and all features, such as setting a new destination, watching a movie etc. will work regardless wheter or not the car is moving or stationary. The new N2 version however does not allow the user that flexibility, thus requiring the use of the rear camera output to watch movies in motion, though I have not tried that technique myself. I did notice though, that the N1 navigation screen map background color is not as pleasing, to me anyway, to look at as the N2 version, the N1 background color is gray, while the N2 background color is more of a pale yellow. The odd thing is, the older N1 nav disc is version 1.2, while the the newer N2 version came with nav disc 1.0. Who knows, it might change again when the new nav disc comes out next year. The DVD picture quality is the same (outstanding) on both units. One other thing, the womens voice that gives directions is very pleasing to listen to!

PING... you have arrived at your destination.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 GLE350 4MATIC, 2009 ML350 4matic, 2005 4maticWAGON (sold), A Pre-facelift W210(sold)
RedCLK, thanks 4 your response. The only other concern now is when you decide to upgrade the map to include newer roads and addresses.
Will that affect the programming? I will like to make sure that I've got updated maps, it doesn't make sense if the maps can not be updated.
I also read somewhere that owners of N1 MUST not upgrade to the N2 software because it will make the movies in motion setting and the plotting of trips withoug emmergency brake NON FUNCTIONAL anymore.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have the Avic-N1 in my expedition and it's GPS is definitely superior to MB. It finds roads that the MB doesn't see and has the reverse telephone number lookup.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:15 PM
Almost a Member!

The N1 version that I purchased was a factory refurbished unit and it was also upgraded to the latest, as far as I know, NAV disc, version 1.2 which is the one that now also comes with the new N2 nav units. the first unit I bought, an early N2 unit came with disc version 1.0 so it appears that the Nav disc does not effect the function of the units.
I'm pretty positive that when the new upgrade disc version 1.3 comes out it will not effect anything else in regard to the programing of the N1 navigation unit, only change will be new updated road/street map information.

PING.... you have arrived at your destination. I never get tired of hearing that....

Last edited by RED-CLK; 05-15-2005 at 07:16 PM. Reason: edited for spelling...
Old 08-04-2005, 02:28 PM

avic brake wire

hey how are u i just purchased the avic-d1 pioneer and i installed the whole unit.a nd i hooked the brake wire up to a ground and once i step on the brake the nav screen shuts off. did u have a similar prob?
Old 08-04-2005, 06:20 PM
Almost a Member!

You are talking about the "light green" colored wire right? It's been awhile since I wired mine up, but try running the light green parking brake wire thru a simple on-off toggle switch and then to a good ground. That way you can try it with the switch on or off. I think mine is just grounded all the time. Let us know if that works or not for you.

Ping... you have arrived at your destination....