CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Problems with my 1999 CLK320

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-24-2002 | 04:18 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by donbiz
on my warrenty receipt it says they removed my dash wood an applied felt. I recreated the sueak for them at the dealer by pressing on the wood trim

Now I can recreat the aqeak by pressing on the dash directly above the speedometer. The new squeak is much worse than the old one. It's kind of a crackle. seems to be worse with the radio on but that could be my imagination.

I here it whenever i hit a small bump in the road, however a big bump doesn't usally cause it.

I won't be able to leave my car at the dealer for a day until the week after fourth of July so i;ll just have to get use to it!
As mentioned above, your noise (which is common on clks) is probably coming from the dash touching the windshield in certian places. Try this, slip a credit card between the glass and the dash area you think the noise is coming from and see if this stops the noise...if it does you can push a piece of felt in that area without having to do the dash removal. This worked on my car quite well. It's amazing this is my third clk and two of the three had this same problem,you'd think MBZ would make a running change on the line and install the felt there like jaguar did on it XK cars. I guess I'm asking too much

RJC
Old 06-24-2002 | 04:55 PM

99' CLK320
Question Why will you trade you 99' CLK for 03' CLK.

Don't you the same thing will happen to your 03' CLK again. My 99' CLK320 is still sitting in dealer right now because after 30000 miles everything inside the car cracks. I am trying to trade this car before warranty expires. I don't think I will try another Mercedes in next couple years unless they improve their material and quality or I am not paying extra money for Crysler CLK.

Jerry
99' CLK320
33000 mile
Old 06-24-2002 | 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
My beef is with the MB dealership service.

Over a three months period and four (4) visits to my (not mine) MB dealership, it went from a 1) squeak in the sunroof elemination, to two 2) and 3) sunshade replacements, to 4) a headliner replacement, --

because of some MB mechanics lack basic skills and hygiene. They like to smear the grease on whatever they touch!! Only after I called MB Corporate did I get results.

Figuring my time, rental cars, shoptime, component replacements, -- that squeak in the sunroof cost an est. $10,000 to fix.

What a waste!!
Old 06-24-2002 | 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally posted by RJC

As mentioned above, your noise (which is common on clks) is probably coming from the dash touching the windshield in certian places. Try this, slip a credit card between the glass and the dash area you think the noise is coming from and see if this stops the noise...if it does you can push a piece of felt in that area without having to do the dash removal. This worked on my car quite well. It's amazing this is my third clk and two of the three had this same problem,you'd think MBZ would make a running change on the line and install the felt there like jaguar did on it XK cars. I guess I'm asking too much

RJC
Maybe if you're lucky the credit card will fall behind the dash and they will have to take it apart to get your credit card....that would fix it I think.
Old 06-24-2002 | 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK55
Originally posted by karl k
My beef is with the MB dealership service.

Over a three months period and four (4) visits to my (not mine) MB dealership, it went from a 1) squeak in the sunroof elemination, to two 2) and 3) sunshade replacements, to 4) a headliner replacement, --

because of some MB mechanics lack basic skills and hygiene. They like to smear the grease on whatever they touch!! Only after I called MB Corporate did I get results.

Figuring my time, rental cars, shoptime, component replacements, -- that squeak in the sunroof cost an est. $10,000 to fix.

What a waste!!

Once again it always comes back to the sunshade. HHHHMmmmmmmmm....I think I found the common connection!!! Its the rear sunshade. I'm going to rip mine out right now!!!!!:p
Old 06-25-2002 | 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by Stiggs

Once again it always comes back to the sunshade. HHHHMmmmmmmmm....I think I found the common connection!!! Its the rear sunshade. I'm going to rip mine out right now!!!!!:p
nonono - it's the sliding sunshade under the sunroof, not the rear window shade.

You see, when the squeak in the sunroof was eliminated, too much lubricant was applied, so that when I accelerated, the sunshade (below the sun/moonroof) slid back, -- when I hit the brakes, the sunshade slid forward.

Two replacements were required, because the first replacement had grease not only on the sunshade, but also all around the light gray headliner.

The dirt/grease from the tender loving mechanic's hands could not be removed, without permanently damaging the headliner. That's why the entire roof/headliner needed replacement. (Actually, that dirt removal attempt by the detailing department was another visit, 2 day loaner upgrade to Suzuki.)

After it was replaced, I was grateful that the electronics in the roof, which relate to SOS and Comand Navigation, were working properly.

I had visions, that the moving directional arrow on the Comand screen had me going south when I was going north...
Old 06-25-2002 | 04:35 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 CLK320 Blk/Blk with stupid options that are not used like sunshade
WONDERFUL FKING SERVICE from my dealer.
Well, I'm 1 month away from the end of my lease, BUT I HAD TO GET A 20K service done. $500 for a goddam oil and wiper fluid change. MB can take my car and take my '03 on order and shove it up their collective Chrysler ***.
No more MB for me. Period.
My car has been in the goddam dealer for over a month collectively from a dozen trips there. This last problem put me over the edge. It was the LAST straw. I hope more people realize this and vote with their $$$.
That's the only way anything will get better.
Old 06-26-2002 | 11:07 AM

S63 AMG
Try this, slip a credit card between the glass and the dash area you think the noise is coming from and see if this stops the noise...if it does you can push a piece of felt in that area without having to do the dash removal. This worked on my car quite well.

I gave this a try and it worked! There are only a few spots on my dash where the credit card will fit without falling through. I feel releaved that it was something so minor. I drove the car over to my service advisor yesterday to show him that I isolated the problem, and he assured me that they could remove my dash, apply a strip of felt, then reassemble everythhing.

I am concerned that this may cause new problems but he said the guy he will have do this has successfully done it to a few other CLK's. I scheduled an apoointment for July 8th. I guess it takes about 5 hours.

Should I go for this or just cram something smaller than my credit card there and hope it doesn't fall through?
Old 06-26-2002 | 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by donbiz

I gave this a try and it worked! There are only a few spots on my dash where the credit card will fit without falling through. I feel releaved that it was something so minor. I drove the car over to my service advisor yesterday to show him that I isolated the problem, and he assured me that they could remove my dash, apply a strip of felt, then reassemble everythhing.

I am concerned that this may cause new problems but he said the guy he will have do this has successfully done it to a few other CLK's. I scheduled an apoointment for July 8th. I guess it takes about 5 hours.

Should I go for this or just cram something smaller than my credit card there and hope it doesn't fall through?
You are taking a chance. The expert SQUEAK mechanic might not show up for a number of days for compelling reasons and you might get a lot of collateral damage, as I recently experienced, -- as you see in my deatailed threads above... so, think - again!
Old 05-04-2014 | 11:14 AM

1999 CLK320 and 1981 280E
I have a 1999 Mercedes clk320 that i got off the showroom floor. I know that this reply is very old, but the biggest problem I have consistently had is related to my lights....all of them except for the interior. It seems that i can not drive the car a month without a warning light on the dash that there is a light out somewhere. I suspect that wiring system. On the bright side, i have a very good relationship with this car. It has never failed to get me anywhere, it has always cranked, and it is currently at 270K miles, looks amazing, and rides amazing.
Old 05-05-2014 | 09:15 AM

clk320 and sl320 V6
It seems that all the 98, 99 CLKs were duds. Big improvement from 2000 onwards.
Old 05-06-2014 | 08:13 PM

Magma Red W208 55 AMG, W203 C230 Kompressor Sedan 6speed M/T, W220 S500
Originally Posted by rorf
It seems that all the 98, 99 CLKs were duds. Big improvement from 2000 onwards.
What improvements were made?