CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

What have I done to my top?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2005 | 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
What have I done to my top?

Moved some stuff around in the trunk, and I think I moved the luggage cover. I've got a slow flashing red light on my top button, and the roll bar button does not seem to be flashing at all on startup. I've also got a metallic rattle, I think that's telling something is not battened down. Yes, I'm RTFM for the proper procedure, but a bit nervous about it. Anyone experienced this with thier Cab? Thanks for the help...
Old 04-07-2005 | 08:08 PM

2000 CLK 430 Conv.
Did u driver or move the car while opening/closing the top?

I did that once and endedup calling the MBroadside service to come an manually reset it for me. It was under warranty then, if not, I had to pay for the call.
Old 04-08-2005 | 05:34 AM

I think I have the same foult, what do you mean by RTFM and how do you reset this manually ? How do you fix this actually ?
Old 04-08-2005 | 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
Small correction, my roll bar light...

is blinking properly. Windows go down, but well won't open. My dealer wrench says that they have had a few latches go bad.
Old 04-09-2005 | 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Repaired. Trip to the dealer...

and my wrench says the latch was sticking ever so slightly. Works like a champ now. For those of you who may not run thier top very often make sure you do so at least 1 or 2x a month.
Old 04-09-2005 | 11:12 AM

CLK 230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by yuanja888
Recently my car started to vibrate like the wheels are out of balance. It gets worse as u pick up the speed. It starts off small at 60 mph and gets more intense at 70mph.

So I took the car to the wheelworks that did my tires and asked them to redo the alignment and balance. Then while i was at work they called and told me that steering linkage tie bar is loose. They replaced something and fixed it. The guy said that he has did a few clk that had the same problem.

Have anyone had similar problem?
Yep. Steering wheel suddenly developed a lot of freeplay, 20 degrees either way, like it was moving independently of the front wheels. And the front wheels would make a crashing sound like they were going to fall off when I rode over road irregularities.

The mechanic jacked up the car, and when he shook one front wheel, the other was jerking away independently in its own direction!

New steering linkage and an alignment fixed it. Wonder if running on bigger wheels and lowered suspension does increase the wear and tear of the linkage.