CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Anyone with a Kleemann upgrade the heat exchanger?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 430
Anyone with a Kleemann upgrade the heat exchanger?

I was wondering if anyone has upgraded the small black heat exchanger that came with the kleemann supercharger. It sits behind the front bumper. Someone must have upgraded it, wa are the results. Im getting a larger radiator installed down there right now, because i broke the heat exchanger. curious if i should expect any changes?
Old 05-07-2005, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
I've personally seen the Kleemann heat exchanger on a W210 E55, it's quite similar in size to the heat exchanger on my E430 included in High Performance System's Gen II kit. I upgraded the "oil cooler" size exchanger to a custom unit using Spearco cores, that fits perfectly on the AMG bumper. And also replaced the water pump to a Bosch unit at a higher gpm rate at the water side head pressure.

Here's a few pics:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-08-2005, 07:41 PM

clk 430
i like that looks nice. Notice any differences after? where is the stock oil cooler located?
Old 05-08-2005, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Originally Posted by zkagan818
i like that looks nice. Notice any differences after? where is the stock oil cooler located?
Base on a Car Chip EX datalogger, the upgrade heat exchanger & Bosch water pump drop fluid temps to a consistent 30-35 degrees (approx.) at WOT or full boost on an 75-80 degree So Cal valley weather....noted, I'm also using an Aquamist water/methanol injection. During the summer months three digit degree weather can be expected in were I reside, therefore this modification may reap some benefits. However, the aftermarket parts on my E-ride has been remove and will be forsale soon as I'm trading in the car.

The smaller "oil cooler size" (as I refer to it) pictured on the right is the heat exchanger that actually came with the supercharger kit.

The upgraded exchanger incorporates a double pass 360 degree welded baffle to prevent any internal coolant bypass. The baffle forces coolant through the top of the exchanger and through the bottom, giving the opportunity to dissipate heat twice.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
Here's a quote from a Car & Driver article that you may find useful -

"And there are significant differences between the AMG and Kleemann systems. AMG lowers the V-6 compression ratio from 10.0:1 to 9.0:1 and uses a Japanese IHI Lysholm-type compressor to force air at 14.7 psi of boost into the engine through a traditional air-to-water intercooler that looks like a miniature radiator. Kleemann, on the other hand, retains the stock compression ratio and employs a Swedish AutoRotor blower of the same type running at only about 7 psi of boost but uses an innovative Laminova intercooler (also Swedish) to cool the air. Lower charge-air temperature is Kleemann's silver bullet against engine detonation.

In this intercooler, water flows through four aluminum tubes 1.8 inches in diameter, each extruded with a large central tunnel and 18 small passages around the edges for good heat transfer. Aluminum fins ring these tubes, spaced just 0.01 inch apart, providing a surface-area-to-volume ratio that's about 47 percent better than that of a radiator-type cooler. Also, cooled water makes one straight shot through the Laminova intercooler, rather than zigzagging back and forth through smaller tubes. The company claims that at full power its cooler can pull about twice as much heat out of the charge air as can the AMG intercooler, with the same or less air-pressure drop across the intercooler."

Here's the link to the full article - http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=3328

Enjoy
Old 05-11-2005, 01:29 PM

clk 430
where did you get that upgrade? I had a custom radiator made because i couldnt find anyhting that could fit down there. Do you know what dimensions your upgraded heat exchanger is?