CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Car won't start, need help please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 CLK 320
Car won't start, need help please

After I filled up at a gas station, I tried to start my car and it wouldn't start. It's not the battery because it had plenty of juice. I waited a while and still nothing. Finally, I put the car in nuetral, rolled it a little, then back in park and it started right up. This is the first time its happened, could it be the infamous crankshaft position sensor? Would rolling the car just a little cause the crankshaft to be in a different position? or is that not what a CPS does?

Also, have been having transmission problems, not shifting out of first when in "S" mode, and when initially shifting into drive I get a lunge. You think these two could be related? I hope so. Have a dealer appointment on Friday. Honestly I am about to the point to sell my car. Nothing like sitting at a gas station with hyundais and kias driving past you with your hood up while you look like a chode
Old 05-25-2005, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320
Don't sell it for something like that. These things happen, especially with kia and hyundais.

If it is a CPS, I have a new one for sale.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK W208
same thing happend to me. the problem is with youre fuel filter it's dirty and when you roll the car it moves the dirt around in the fuel filter and it let's the gas flow. it'll cost you about $275 for the part and about $50 to $100 for labor. or if you lift up the car you can do it yourself the fuel filter is all the way in the back close to youre tank you can see it and it's fully accessable and there is a shield around it. let me know if you have any more questions. if you are in the southern cali area i can help you out with it if you have any questions.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
You can get OEM fuel filters online for $35.

http://replacement.autopartswarehous...rt=Fuel+Filter
Old 05-26-2005, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 CLK 320
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. I think I will probably try replacing both the fuel filter and the CPS, both are pretty cheap and it sounds like they may be the problem. I'll wait till after tomorrow though and see if the dealer can find anything first, as I have an appointment to take it in for another un-related problem...doh!

I loved this car when I got it, and I still love the looks and the class it offers, but man, this is about the 6th time in 14 months its been in the shop for repairs... WTF! and I try to drive it like an old lady!

Thanks again for your help guys, may be PM-ing you depending on what the dealer says