CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

new clk owner with stereo questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2005 | 07:43 PM

new clk owner with stereo questions

hey all,
needless to say, im new to this forum, and a new owner of a '99 CLK 320 ....though its no 430 or 55, its damn good for me!
do any of you guys have experience with replacing the stock bose stereo system with aftermarket stuff (headunit, components, sub and amp placement)? i really want to upgrade the stereo (by myself), but im scared to death of messing up any of clk's computer's....is there anything i need to watch out for? also, how do i go about taking off the door panels?
thanks alot in advance
-jamie
Old 06-02-2005 | 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
Originally Posted by jb284
hey all,
needless to say, im new to this forum, and a new owner of a '99 CLK 320 ....though its no 430 or 55, its damn good for me!
do any of you guys have experience with replacing the stock bose stereo system with aftermarket stuff (headunit, components, sub and amp placement)? i really want to upgrade the stereo (by myself), but im scared to death of messing up any of clk's computer's....is there anything i need to watch out for? also, how do i go about taking off the door panels?
thanks alot in advance
-jamie
you will not mess up the car's computer by changing out the OEM stereo equipment. The factory amp is behind the carpet-materialed panel on the left side of the trunk. Just undo that panel, and peel it back and you will see the amp mounted on a aluminum bracket.

The door panels are just held in by clips and screws. When I took my door panels off for the first time, my particular car (99 430) had one screw on each door that was difficult to get to. hard to describe, but i had to reach my arm up and behind the door panel to get to the screw.
Old 06-04-2005 | 12:25 AM

where did you find out how to take the panel off? just trial and error? or are there any documents online that provide a step-by-step description? ive been searching my **** off but can't find anything!