CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK430 satisfaction rate?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 CLK500
Question CLK430 satisfaction rate?

This is a little unrelated, but I've got a 2003 CLK500 on order, set to be delivered August 15th. I've needed a car since May when I got home from school, and I passed up on my #1 choice (a Silver/Black loaded GS300) and decided waiting 4 months for the CLK was worth it in the long run. I was heavily considering the 430 until I read online and saw screenshots of the 500. I'm very happy with my decision, and know it will be worth the wait, but I was wondering if I could get a little feedback from a few of you out there who own 430's. A few of my general inquiries:

* How is the drive? My first vehicle was a Lexus RX300 truck. While it supposively "drives like a car", its obviously nowhere near the same thing as owning a CLK. Do you guys find the 430 engine responsive? While I really enjoy driving, I haven't gotten a chance to cut loose because of the restrictions of driving an SUV.

* Are modifications expensive? I'd imagine with a $50,000+ car, that doing work to it is going to be somewhat steep when it comes to pricing.

* Overall satisfaction. Are you happy with your car? I know that for me, the CLK is a much better decision than a GS or an M3.. how do you guys feel about your decision? I know there's a lot more prestige that comes with driving a CLK opposed to an Accord, and any thoughts about being a CLK owner would be appreciated.

That's pretty much it.. I'll be purchasing my car (not leasing it) because I think I'll probably want to do work to it down the road, and a CLK500 is the kinda car that I think will be great for many years to come.
Old 07-01-2002, 07:16 PM

Personally, I found the stock springs to be nauseatingly "floaty," not to mention the horrendous gap they provide between the wheels and fenders. I recommend bigger wheels and new shocks/springs for better handling and looks. The 430 engine is a lot of fun- I think I exercise mine more than most people- I redline it about a dozen times a day .

Mods are ridiculously expensive. You do get what you pay for, but the premiums are very high. Take a supercharger for a Mustang GT- runs you about $4500 installed. For the CLK430? About $19K installed- just to give you an example.

I'm very satisfied with the car- especially its looks. I'm disappointed with the interior build quality, the number of squeaks and rattles, and the *****ty chassis rigidity- luckily that will be much improved for '03. The car definitely attracts attention- don't worry.
Old 07-01-2002, 07:35 PM

I have the Cab and have only owned it for three months, but I'm happy. The car is fun to drive and is very solid for a convertible, no squeaks and rattles here. The motor is responsive as is, the only thing mine is missing are chrome rims, however, I'm not trying to keep up to a Hayabusa in the 1/4 mile!

Rgds, Ed

Last edited by ML Dude; 07-01-2002 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-01-2002, 07:48 PM

'03 CLK500
Newbie -

I saw the pictures of your car that you posted.. that thing looks ridiculous. The more I look at that side picture, the more I admire how beautiful the car really is. I think yours looks phenominal. However, I don't think that the tint you have would be legal here in New York, or in Boston - where I'll have the car [at school] for most of the year.

As far as the interior, that was one of the things holding me back from getting the 2002 model. The front of the car has grown on me, but the difference of the interior between the 2002 and the 2003 is pretty big. Check out how I'm getting my interior:

Pretty sick, eh? I think the 2002 is a lot more dramatic looking, but I think the front view of the 2003 is what sold me. That and the pillarless windows. Whatever the case, the ladies must sweat that car of yours.
Old 07-01-2002, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by likuidM5
Newbie -

I saw the pictures of your car that you posted.. that thing looks ridiculous. The more I look at that side picture, the more I admire how beautiful the car really is. I think yours looks phenominal. However, I don't think that the tint you have would be legal here in New York, or in Boston - where I'll have the car [at school] for most of the year.
...Whatever the case, the ladies must sweat that car of yours.

Thanks for the compliments- of course it's MY favorite CLK, but not everyone feels the same... . Believe me, my tint is VERY illegal in California. All tint is illegal now- it used to be a fine, but now it's a mandatory fix-it ticket. Since 5% is as illegal as 50% (although obviously much more offensive to cops), I figured I may as well go as dark as possible . I love my tint.

And it hasn't hurt having an '00 430 as my first car

BTW- the new CLK's interior is awesome looking. The lack of a b-pillar is also very nice- I assume this will finally mean the rear 3/4 windows will go down? I'm still not wild about the exterior design, but it'll grow on me, like all new Benzos.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:53 AM
Almost a Member!

blk 2000 clk430
I bought the CLK mailnly for the look. I don't drive fast so I don't really care for the speed but it's still faster than 80% of the car on the road. All car will have rattle here and there sooner or later. Just buy a bigger wheel and tire change your shock and spring then u will have the best looking car on the road. For modified I'm not too crazy about it since the value of your car will be depreciate in time so u just waste your money. CLK will cost u atleast 60k after tax and license. With kleeman upgrade will cost u 80k. For that I can get a 95 Ferrari 348 spider faster look better and the investment will stay. Just my 2 cent.......