CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Haven't driven the CLK in about 2 months...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Haven't driven the CLK in about 2 months...

now car won't start (dead battery?) and the trunk won't open even with the manual key. Is there a trick to get around this, so I can change the battery or at least jump it to get it started.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
The trunk locks on the 208 have an issue where they'll seize up if not used often. Keep working it - it will eventually turn. If not, other options are to buy one of those things that plug into the cig. lighter and give you power to start the car, or hook a battery charger up underneath the car where the power cable gets distributed to the starter (near the tranny)
Old 08-07-2005, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by Josh K
The trunk locks on the 208 have an issue where they'll seize up if not used often. Keep working it - it will eventually turn. If not, other options are to buy one of those things that plug into the cig. lighter and give you power to start the car, or hook a battery charger up underneath the car where the power cable gets distributed to the starter (near the tranny)
Thanks...
Old 08-07-2005, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally Posted by Josh K
Hey Josh, does you cig lighter stay on all the time? Mine is conected to the ignition key and shuts off when I pull the key. This prevents me from using a charger there.

There should be a charging post under the hood on the driver side fender.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
crap, I forgot about the cig lighter power being keyed.

and, I read the post too fast and though he locked the keys in the trunk (no hood access). If you can still get under the hood, then E55AMG99 is right, there's a charging post on the left side.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E55AMG99
Hey Josh, does you cig lighter stay on all the time? Mine is conected to the ignition key and shuts off when I pull the key. This prevents me from using a charger there.

There should be a charging post under the hood on the driver side fender.
Thanks for the info...
Old 08-07-2005, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
check on the W208 forum, there is someone else with a similar problem where the battery died, and they couldn't get into the trunk because the key lock was broken...

2 possible solutions...

1- There are charging points in the hood compartment... and positive prong, and a grounding spot... that will directly charge the battery... link up with another car batter to these spots and then "open" your trunk using the remote... but, do not try and use this spot to jump-start the car... i hear thats a no-no

2- The other options is to get a portable cigarette charger, those should work regardless of whether the ignition is keyed in...
Old 08-07-2005, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mmgrad
check on the W208 forum, there is someone else with a similar problem where the battery died, and they couldn't get into the trunk because the key lock was broken...

2 possible solutions...

1- There are charging points in the hood compartment... and positive prong, and a grounding spot... that will directly charge the battery... link up with another car batter to these spots and then "open" your trunk using the remote... but, do not try and use this spot to jump-start the car... i hear thats a no-no

2- The other options is to get a portable cigarette charger, those should work regardless of whether the ignition is keyed in...
Thanks...I'm going to try these options tomorrow.