CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Follow up on prior post:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 05:15 PM
SWH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 CLKs
Unhappy Follow up on prior post:

Please see thread for background :

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/117717-clk-430-owners-any-guesses.html

Tech rode with me and heard the noise I had been hearing. The invoice stated: "convertors making noise. replace both convertors and roadtest. noise gone".
The problem is that the noise is still there. Again, this noise involves a deep hum that is best heard when going less than 50 mph and only occurs when accelerating or holding the throttle steady. Once you let go of the throttle the hum stops. Further searches here suggest other culprits: 1. heat sink due to a heat shield involving a cat, 2. resonator issue, 3. intake silencer problem, and 4. problem with another cat since there supposedly 4. Any other fresh ideas or comments appreciated.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by SWH
Please see thread for background :

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117717

Tech rode with me and heard the noise I had been hearing. The invoice stated: "convertors making noise. replace both convertors and roadtest. noise gone".
The problem is that the noise is still there. Again, this noise involves a deep hum that is best heard when going less than 50 mph and only occurs when accelerating or holding the throttle steady. Once you let go of the throttle the hum stops. Further searches here suggest other culprits: 1. heat sink due to a heat shield involving a cat, 2. resonator issue, 3. intake silencer problem, and 4. problem with another cat since there supposedly 4. Any other fresh ideas or comments appreciated.
I had this problem in my BMW, try to have them look at the exhaust brackets. For me it turned out to be the exhaust was vibrating against the subframe. I wound up attaching a pad to the frame where it made contact.