CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Removing Impact strips????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clk320
Removing Impact strips????

I know that for the front and back you must remove the bumpers (Correct me if I'm wrong on any of these.) The ones on the door... Remove a screw and slide them to unlock them. But I cant figure out the ones on the panels behind the door can anyone help? I dont wanna break them.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK55
I'm going through this myself, I wanted to advise ALL that unless you've figured something out, that I haven't yet, you MUST drop/remove the front bumper to remove the impact strip.

I started by removing my side marker light, to release pressure, and give me something to grab on to for leverage, I knew there were numerous clips on the top bottom of the impact strip that I presumed I could free up w/a slim, flat tool (screwdriver, putty knife, etc).. HOWEVER, on the first (2) clips on the front wheel side of each impact strip there are also metal retaining clips holding the plastic clips in place... I managed to get the metal clip free, but only after minimally damaging my plastic clip in the process.

So I advise anyone trying to get the impact strip out to drop the bumper first, or expect broken plastic tabs/clips, and I imagine a poorly fitting strip, when you go to reinstall it.

Hope that saves someone the aggravation I just experienced. Best of luck.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2001 Clk55 AMG
Those little strips do just snap in, they will pop free. I had mine off this fall.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK55
^^ I'm with you on the "they snap in" part, but on my car the 2 tabs at the start of the strip on each side of the car have metal retaining clips holding the plastic tabs; so I just wanted to help advise people that they may break their plastic tabs at those ends if they simply pry out.