CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Newbie that needs some help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie that needs some help

Hi all! I will inherit a 1999 CLK 430 very soon and wanted to know if this is a pretty decent car. I'm a Volkswagen owner that is completely clueless about the CLK. The car has 86K miles, very clean and had only one owner. What sort of things should I expect from this car? Any major problems or issues in previous or recent years? How is Mercedes Benz' record when it comes to high mileage? Will I be able to truly enjoy this car or will it live in the shop? I know maintanence is not cheap but this won't be too much of an issue since I don't have to make monthly payments on the car. Also how is the gas mileage? Any advice at all ? I know I have a ton of questions but I would like to know what I'm getting into with this car. Thank you in advance!
Old 12-11-2005, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' CLK55
Originally Posted by DemiCLK
Hi all! I will inherit a 1999 CLK 430 very soon and wanted to know if this is a pretty decent car. I'm a Volkswagen owner that is completely clueless about the CLK. The car has 86K miles, very clean and had only one owner. What sort of things should I expect from this car? Any major problems or issues in previous or recent years? How is Mercedes Benz' record when it comes to high mileage? Will I be able to truly enjoy this car or will it live in the shop? I know maintanence is not cheap but this won't be too much of an issue since I don't have to make monthly payments on the car. Also how is the gas mileage? Any advice at all ? I know I have a ton of questions but I would like to know what I'm getting into with this car. Thank you in advance!
just do a search. this kind of question is asked at least once per week by newbies.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help CLKAl. I used the search option which is why I posted this thread. I just thought maybe a little advice from fellow Mercedes owners wouldn't be a stretch in a MB forurm. Still looking for info and advice!
Old 12-11-2005, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
Originally Posted by DemiCLK
Thanks for the help CLKAl. I used the search option which is why I posted this thread. I just thought maybe a little advice from fellow Mercedes owners wouldn't be a stretch in a MB forurm. Still looking for info and advice!
if you used the search option, you would have found many threads with answers to your question.

when members see the same question being asked over and over and over , it is a STRE T C H..........

again, DO A FRICKING SEARCH!!!!!!

if you don't know how to do one, just scroll down in this forum until you find the thread you are looking for.

Last edited by clkal; 12-11-2005 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 silver
going from a VW to the clk..haha..get ready for a kick in the butt. The CLK's have 275 hp which I'm sure is a little more than the VW you have. Maybe not, if you've modded it. I had a 99' and had to take it in for 1 repair in the 5 months that I owned it. I had an extended warranty on it. Just like any car, it depends how well it was taken care of. The plus is, you don't have any payments so you can afford some repairs if needed. These are rear wheel drive cars so if you live in an area that gets snow..stick with your VW.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
^^Dang you guys arent being much help here.^^ I'd ease up on VW, 320/430 cars will get their A$$ kicked by an R32 or any number of boosted 1.8T/2.0T variants.

As for the CLK, its a good car. The 430s have had transmission problems as they get higher up in mileage. i would recommend having the fluid changed and the bearings inspected. There have also been problems with electronics and squeaky interiors, but overall the cars are fairly solid. Whether or not it lives in the shop will largely depend on your specific car and how well it has been cared for, but my clk 320 has 102K miles and is still going strong.