CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

230K Problems Problems Problems... :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
230K Problems Problems Problems... :(

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with some guides on how to repair some faults on my car please???

I have CLK230 Kompressor, Triptronic...
Ive been having a few problems with it and would like to repair it myself if I can instead of having to re-mortgage my house to pay mercedes lol

I would be really gratefull for any guides on repairing these problems please?

Ive had my ESP/BAS lights on for a while now, these stay on the brakes where changed a while ago but these where on and off before then even... I read in my service history that the previous owner had this problem and paid £200 or so pounds for replacing the faulty sensor, im having the same problem. Can this be repaired by myself???

Also my engine warning light is on and has been on for a while it wont go off, read that this is the CO2 sensor????

On top of all that my engine makes a lot of noise when I accelarate and it feels rough I was told this is the clutch on the automatic gearbox by someone else and it might need gearbox oil?

The car also makes huge banging noises that I can feel under my feet like I have run something over when I brake suddenly???

Final problem is I recently built a car computer in my car replacing the stereo with a touch screen powered by a laptop, since doing this something has happened to my temperature read out, it goes all funny when I start the car, I have checked the wiring on this and it all seems to be plugged in properly, funny thing is it seems to go back to normal when I put the heating on and the car warms up... It just shows half broken letters when the car is cold??? Has my car got the flu??? LOL

I hope someone can help me at least fix some of the problems myself???
Old 01-08-2006, 10:19 AM

2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
Originally Posted by c9679
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with some guides on how to repair some faults on my car please???

I have CLK230 Kompressor, Triptronic...
Ive been having a few problems with it and would like to repair it myself if I can instead of having to re-mortgage my house to pay mercedes lol

I would be really gratefull for any guides on repairing these problems please?

Ive had my ESP/BAS lights on for a while now, these stay on the brakes where changed a while ago but these where on and off before then even... I read in my service history that the previous owner had this problem and paid £200 or so pounds for replacing the faulty sensor, im having the same problem. Can this be repaired by myself???

Also my engine warning light is on and has been on for a while it wont go off, read that this is the CO2 sensor????

On top of all that my engine makes a lot of noise when I accelarate and it feels rough I was told this is the clutch on the automatic gearbox by someone else and it might need gearbox oil?

The car also makes huge banging noises that I can feel under my feet like I have run something over when I brake suddenly???

Final problem is I recently built a car computer in my car replacing the stereo with a touch screen powered by a laptop, since doing this something has happened to my temperature read out, it goes all funny when I start the car, I have checked the wiring on this and it all seems to be plugged in properly, funny thing is it seems to go back to normal when I put the heating on and the car warms up... It just shows half broken letters when the car is cold??? Has my car got the flu??? LOL

I hope someone can help me at least fix some of the problems myself???
I've had the engine light problem on my C230K Coupe (2002). The sensors were replaced multiple times but they continued to burn out until a wiring harness was replaced.

Good Luck
Old 01-08-2006, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Sorry there cowboy. But he is not in the US and therefore is correct in his post placing questions: i.e. his 230 model is different from your 230 model.
Old 01-08-2006, 06:27 PM

Im sorry I dont understand??? ^ Have I posted in the wrong place, I do have a mercedes CLK 230 Kompressor, which is a W208 chassis I thought "CLK-Class (W208)" would be the right place???
Old 01-09-2006, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
You posted in the correct place. The first answer was about a different model C230.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:24 AM

Cool, thank you...

Would you know if there are any guides on repairing any of the above please???
Old 01-11-2006, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
Are these systems actually malfuctioning or is the light just on? If it is just the brake sensor i know this can be replaced rather easily, search on here for the DIY brake job and it should mention it (to my recollection).

CO2 or O2? If it is the O2 sensor then all you need to do is find out which one is malfunctioning (an OBD II tool should do this for you) and replace it. The sensors are located in your exhaust system before and after the primary catalytic convertor.

Auto gearboxes dont have clutches, they have torque converters. This seems like your scariest problem since a blown transmission will spell the end of your car's useful life until you drop 5-6K (Dollars, so about 3K pounds) on a new or remanufactured tranny. My advice is dont try this one yourself. Go to a good (preferably independent) MB shop and ask them to change out the transmission fluid, including what is in the torque converter and to check the transmission bearings for anything coming loose. This will be worth the money, CLK bearings are terrible about coming apart and completely destroying the rest of the transmission.

Just noises or is there an actual bang and jolt? How strong is it? My guess is that your suspension has a problem somewhere, it oculd be anything, springs popping in and out of their brackets, bad shocks, or bad bushings come to mind first.

No clue what's going on here. You might want to check with the Audio and Electronics forum, but be prepared to post pics and details about the system.

You shouldnt have much trouble replacing the parts themselves, your problem will be finding out what it is you need to replace. Good luck[/QUOTE]

Trending Topics

Old 01-14-2006, 04:30 AM

Hello,

Thank you so much for your help

I know the light is on for these items but I assume that there is an actual problem with this as I paid £30 to have the lights reset and they came back on straight away so I was told it was a definate problem, I do feel the fault could also be causing the other problem with the banging noises when I brake...

Will try the DIY brake sensor search

There is a bang and jolt it feels like I have run something over and feels like something passes directly under my feet when I do brake, I thought this was just wheel spin which might have something to do with the BAS/ESP problems, however I did have 2 accidents, this car has been cursed from day one someone drove into the back driver side wheel once, so I had to have items replaced on both sides, then I was parked and someone drove into my front passenger side wing... The braking noises have been since this happened, however the noises seem to come from my side and the BAS/ESP lights have always been on long before any accidents...

Thank you again for all your help, little worried about the blown transmission thing...
Old 01-20-2006, 04:46 PM

2004 S430
did you replace the brake switch for the lights?

my bas/abs/esp lights were all coming on--which scared the hell out of me--but read here in a post to try replacing the switch attached to the brake pedal which actuates the brakelights and other brake systems, such as the abs esp and bas. its a simple replacement--about 20 min-- the switch was 30 dollars at the dealer. there are six screws in the driver's footwell which hold the plastic cover, the switch is just above it. mine was well-fried.