CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Trunk not opening automatically

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
Trunk not opening automatically

So, my trunk just stopped working....by the key and by the switch on the console. Before I take it to the dealer, does anybody have any ideas of why this is happening?
Old 01-16-2006, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
i have had this problem. in my case, the red light on the trunk release switch stays on even though the trunk is closed, and i have to use the metal key to unlock the trunk. I found out that defect is related to the gray stem (about 1 inch long) that comes out of the bottom of the trunk lid near the handle you use to close it. The gray stem looks a bit like a golf tee and slides into the trunk when closed and makes contact with a sensor to tell the car that the trunk is indeed shut (Same mechanism that is used on refrigerator doors). Mine gets stuck on occasion. It goes in, but doesnt come al lthe way back out when i open the trunk, thus when it shuts it malfunctions because the car never knew the trunk was open. The solution is to locate the gray stem (tell me if you need pics, but if you open your trunk all the way, it should be at about eye level pointing at you) and pull it out the rest of the way, very little force is needed, push it in and out a few times, then pull it out to its full position and close the trunk. It should work now.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK/ML
Same here. When I fitted my new rear bumper, I left the black plastic lip liner off because I had to put the old one back on in a few days. I went to open it and nothing. I tried the key as well and still nothing. Fortunately I had left the back seats down (driving to the painter with the kit) and I was able to see that the grey button was not making contact. I wedged some credit cards under it and the damn thing opened.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
00 KLEEMANN CLK 430 - 02 KLEEMANN CLK55 - 88 Euro / Jap AMG 560 SEC Widebody
I have the same problem with the non-opening occasionally - thanks for the grey stem advise. My red light is CONSTANTLY on too - I'm going grey stem hunting.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
I got me self a stem.....grey one toooo and wrastled with tha little feller.

But nothing happened. The light on the console switch doesn't even come on. What do you think that means?
Old 01-18-2006, 04:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 Silver CLK430
Maybe the switch is dead. I see 'em on E-bay fairly often...
Old 01-19-2006, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 E55
OK, so I wrestled with it some more. When I pulled it out all the way, the light in the trunk came on. 6 month mystery solved. Then, by pounding the **** out of it like a pimp on a $2 hooker, it loosened up more than my ex girlfriend.

After closing it, it finally worked automatically.

Thanks fellas, you made me like my car a little more today.