CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Light malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Light malfunction

Hey, I got the malfunction in my multifunction display indicating that there is a faulty light bulb - somewhere. I searched high and low, and was not successful finding it anywhere. Then, I *think* I may have found it.

It appears as though the right side license plate light is out. I'm really hoping that's the problem. However, I can't figure out for the life of me how to replace it. It seems to be mounted under a painted plastic piece with a phillips head screw on the left and right, and what appears to be a rivet in the center? I removed both screws but the piece will not come off. Can't figure out how to get it off.

Any help?

Also, when I have the light switch set for front AND rear fog lights, is only the left side of the exterior trunk light supposed to illuminate?

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2006, 04:07 PM

02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
To get to the license plate bulbs just remove the cover on the inside of the trunklid. Just pull a few of the "pins" out and bend the cover until you can get to the bulbs. Not a big deal at all.

As far as the rear foglight, there should only be one....on the driver's side.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:19 PM

Follow-up

Thanks about the license plate light. I suspected that might be the case, but didn't want to mess with pulling the pins until I knew.

As for the fog light, I want to make sure I'm clear about this. Turning the rear fog light on illuminates the light on the drivers side of the trunk, right? In other words, not just the clear "strip" that doesn't seem to exist on the passenger side, but also the red part. Is that right?

I could never figure out how that could be effective, but....
Old 01-31-2006, 04:52 PM

02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
Yeah, it just basically looks like you have your brakes on and the other bulb is burned out to me. Pretty dumb idea in my opinion but what do I know?