CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Help with the brown wires under driver's seat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 03:16 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 CLK430
Help with the brown wires under driver's seat

While cleaning I found that the previous owner either purposely or more likely accidentally ripped the 4 brown wires out of their plug. I can also see that on the passenger side they ripped the two wires out of the red plug, but had somewhat poorly repaired those already. Anyway, I dont know what these 4 brown wires are supposed to do as everything seems to operate properly, but I would nonetheless like to repair them.

So, would someone who is bored at home right now please check under their driver seat and describe what location those 4 wires fit into their respective plug. I know what plug it is, and it is obviously still plugged into where it is supposed to go, there just isnt any wires coming out of the plug. Just describe for example: while looking at the back of the plug from the front of the car, the brown wire with light blue stripe is in the top right position. Any photos would be worth bonus points!!!!!

BTW, I would have just guessed based on the similar plug on the passenger side, however the passenger side only has two brown wires?

MANY, MANY Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old 02-14-2006, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
the car is prewired for things like heated seats... even tho the option isn't added, the wire is there... its possible that the wires belong to that option... if it ain't broke, don't fix it
Old 02-15-2006, 12:40 PM
Almost a Member!

01 CLK430
As it is a new car, I wouldnt necessarily notice what wasnt working. Besides, it could be related to crash/passenger detection for all I know and waiting until I knew it didnt work wouldnt be my first choice.

Comon, someone give me a shout on this, PLEASE.

OH, BTW, I do have heated seats. My A$$ gets plenty warm, and the back feels like it is working, but not nearly as much as my but. I doubt these two locations would be split to different plugs so I assume it has more to do with pressure on the seat at those locations, but again, maybe it is related to these broken wires, I dont know yet.

Chris
Old 02-15-2006, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK/ML
Why don't you post a picture of exactly what part you mean. Like Danny sez...If it aint broke. Last time I got creative with the wiring, it cost me a grand at the stealership. Do you actually see loose wires? They will often use a standard connector that will accomodate 4 or 6 connections even if they only need it for 2.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Almost a Member!

01 CLK430
Ok, I will put a few pics up tonight. But yes, there are 4 wires that are hanging loose. The end of the insulation has about 1/16" of wire sticking out of it. The wire is pretty corroded so it has been this way for a while. There is a black plug that has 4 pins in it (the actual pins are still in the plug housing) with a few strands of the wires still hanging there. These 4 wires definitely go to those 4 pins. I have a BSEE degree and have wired several race cars with modern ECU's (like the AEM EMS standalone) from scratch, but that doesnt help with guessing what order these connect in.

Thanks for reading and please check out the pics tonight.

Chris
Old 02-15-2006, 11:33 PM
Almost a Member!

01 CLK430
Taking picsin pitch black isnt my specialty, but here is a shot of the underside of the seat. As you can see, all of the connector housings have been unplugged except the one that is broken. In the pic you can see the red plug, then one next to it with flat blade style connector, then the broken one. I know the pic sucks because you can only see two of the four wire locations, but this should be enough to clarify. I also checked the wires and it looks like I have two all brown wires, one brown w red stripe, and one brown with white stripe.

Thanks,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails Help with the brown wires under driver's seat-p1010005.jpg   Help with the brown wires under driver's seat-p1010006.jpg  
Old 02-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Almost a Member!

01 CLK430
PLEASE help. I am about to put the carpet and seats back in after Dynamatting and would like to take care of this while it is easy. I didnt bug anyone over the weekend, but I thought today would be a day when a bunch of you are out working on your cars.

Thanks in advance (hopefully)
Chris