CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

'02 CLK430 Cab transmission troubles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy '02 CLK430 Cab transmission troubles

I have read most all the posts here on different transmission problems. I have some similar and not similar symptoms. I would appreciate your patience and expertise in either helping me or pointing me in the right direction. Most of the linked threads are to the M-Class troubles. Anyhow,
for my problem. I too am having the auto-transmission stick in gear. It happens usually in second, but has happened in 3rd. It happens most when the selector is in drive, but also occurs in manual mode. It usually only happens when it is cold, and once the car warms up it usually runs fine. However, it has occurred a few times while warm when I rev the engine to pass or just get that feeling to go fast. I have never spilled anything into
the gear shifter box. I do not get any check engine lights or sensor lights. I do however have to pull over, turn off the car and restart. This is not how a MB should behave. It is not what I would consider safe, for me, passengers or the car. I know others have the same issue. I have just over 50K, so my warranty is gone. I would like to have some info, so when I take it to get serviced, I don't get screwed. Please help!!
Old 03-15-2006, 09:01 PM

W208 CLK55K, GTR, RS5
I have the same exact experience with my 55. It has happened ever since my dog knocked a soda in to the gear box. I had the part replaced, but am still having the same issue. My mechanic said he highly doubts I have to replace the tranny, but instead he just needs to check the codes and reset it. I'm thinking there may be some residue left from the soda, but I'll keep you posted. I'm having the car worked on this weekend. I'm having him do a tranny service as well.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:16 AM

W208 CLK55K, GTR, RS5
Got my car back today. It seems like the tranny service worked.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:30 AM

Thanks

I hope all I need is a service. On the original service, did they replace anything?
Old 03-23-2006, 02:16 PM

W208 CLK55K, GTR, RS5
I had him do service B and the tranny service. He hasn't given me an invoice yet, so I'm not 100% what parts were replaced or not. I'll keep you posted.