CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

BLUE tint on a CLK.... anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
BLUE tint on a CLK.... anyone?

I went out shopping around for a blue tint for my CLK. I took samples from various tint shops and they are pretty much the same shade, although prices did vary quite a bit.

I know a good number of you here have tinted windows (mostly grey/black titanium or similar), but does anyone here have a Blue tint on their CLK?

The 430 has a natural blue dye tint, and adding the extra blue tint makes it quite a dark blue. Anyone ever try this?

Or any opinions? Too tacky?
Old 08-13-2002, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't do it- the only cars I've seen with blue tint bear the Honda logo....

But hey, it'd be different!
Old 08-13-2002, 12:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
Re: BLUE tint on a CLK.... anyone?

Originally posted by mmgrad
I went out shopping around for a blue tint for my CLK. I took samples from various tint shops and they are pretty much the same shade, although prices did vary quite a bit.

I know a good number of you here have tinted windows (mostly grey/black titanium or similar), but does anyone here have a Blue tint on their CLK?

The 430 has a natural blue dye tint, and adding the extra blue tint makes it quite a dark blue. Anyone ever try this?

Or any opinions? Too tacky?
IMHO, yes, it would be tacky. Save the blue tint for civics, dodge neons, and soup'ed up sentras. Not for CLKs.

djamer
Old 08-13-2002, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hmmm... alright... guess i'll leave the blue tint to the ricers (i have one of those cars too...hehehe)

djamer:
how do you like the 'stoneguard'? is it noticeable and how much did it run ya?
Old 08-13-2002, 01:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
Originally posted by mmgrad
hmmm... alright... guess i'll leave the blue tint to the ricers (i have one of those cars too...hehehe)

djamer:
how do you like the 'stoneguard'? is it noticeable and how much did it run ya?
mmgrad,

the stoneguard ran me 650.00 including installation. It's a extremely labor intensive job and not a DIY type of thing. I am very glad i got it. No one can notice it's on my car, and when they do, everyone is surprised on how transparent and clean it looks. Protection wise, it has really helped out. Today i noticed a small chip on the stoneguard, but it never penetrated the plastic to the bumper. I am almost positive w/o the stoneguard, i would have been stuck in my garage doing a chip repair. :-)

amer
Old 08-14-2002, 12:08 AM

2001 CLK 320
I'm very interested in this but have no experience and am loathe to find out the hard way on something like this.. I notice cars that seem to have a dark smoke kinda tint where it really looks as if the glass has been tinted... I'm interested in that. The idea of putting sheets on the windows of my car seems.. yuck.

Is there another method to tinting besides these sheets that one sees with streaks and bubbles all the time?

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old 08-14-2002, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The bubble effect you see from tints on older cars can be easily resolved....

DON'T BUY THE CHEAP STUFF.....

regular aluminum composite tints don't have a very high tolerance to heat, in which over time will start to peel and bubble. Very nasty

What you should do is opt for something like a Titanium composite tint... probably cost you about $50-60 more, but lasts a lot lot longer. Also, titanium composite tints also help fight against discoloration from amonia (ie., Windex), which if used on regular aluminum tints, will cause the tint to turn into a purple color.

In either case, avoid window cleaners with amonia.

Ask your friends that look to have good tints, they can point you towards the right shop. Good Luck!
Old 09-09-2002, 11:17 AM
Almost a Member!

1973 280
I agree...blue tint can be VERY risky. In Long Beach we call blue/purple tint Ghetto Tint. Good luck, and be careful.
Old 09-16-2002, 05:16 AM

03 clk430 cab... pewter/ash/ash..k4 command blue-lit doorsills phone cd changer
i have a 2003 clk 430cab pewter/grey,, and when i first laid eyes on it,, i noticed it had blue tint.... i did'nt know what to think,, it is tastefully done, and noticeable from the outside... from the inside,,, it really helps with the glare,,.. it is definitely darker thoughout the interior., i have noticed a few posters saying they got glare on the dash, and didn't have tint.... so instead of fighting it,,, i went for the illuminated blue sills.... they are pretty STRiking at night.... i have no regrets with colors, or tint, or doorsills..... good luck with your decision!...frank
ps it doesn't seem rice-like
Old 09-16-2002, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CLK430
franktly,

the illuminated door sills are awesome arent they? i love mine, every time someone gets in my car they do a double take and waste 5 minutes of my time looking at them.

Eric
Old 09-17-2002, 06:08 PM

03 clk430 cab... pewter/ash/ash..k4 command blue-lit doorsills phone cd changer
ERIC....... yeah, the door sills are awesome!..... it really goes a long way in personalizing the car, methinks... i had to pony up 729.00 for them, as opposed to the 400.00 listed on the website... because mine was not ordered with it... i actually had my name put on this car as it was on the ship... my salesman was pretty slick.... i also had to pay 323.00 for all the cd navigational discs, as opposed to the 140.00 listed on the website.... we've just got to keep remembering to open the doors a lot!....
Old 09-17-2002, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CLK430
haha yeah, are yours Mercedes-Benz or ///AMG???

Eric