CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Got Eibach installed.... but it sit too high

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl500 2003
Got Eibach installed.... but it sit too high

I just got my Eibach installed in the back with stock pads (#4) on CLK320 but it looks way hihger than stock about 2-3 inches. Part # is 2545-140.

Is this normal? PLease let me know. Thankssss
Old 05-04-2006, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
i've not worked with CLK.....but the springs need a few miles to settle
into their natural sag height. i don't know how many pads you have to
select from with CLK, but with E320, there are 5. #4 is 2nd thickest
so you may have the option to go almost .75 lower or so.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:30 AM

sl500 2003
Eibach Springs

Immediately after you change the spring, does your car suppose to look lower right away?

THere are 4 springs, 2 big/shorter, 2 small/longer. I put 2 big/shorter in the rear. is that right?

Is this normal? PLease let me know. Thankssss
Old 05-04-2006, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK320, Carrera S
If you raised the car by 2-3 inches then I would assume that the springs are installed incorrectly and the car may be dangerous to drive.

On my CLK320 the stock pads were #5 pads in front and #4 in rear. With Eibach springs and the stock pads the car was lowered 0.75 inches in the rear and nothing in the front; I changed the spring pads in front to #3, to get a 0.6 drop in the front.

I swapped the shocks at the same time to Koni’s this may have some impact.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:04 PM

clk
Them same thing happen to me when I installed H&R springs.
I had to use #1 pads (front) and #2 pads (rear) to lower my 320. I think the weight difference between the 320 and 430 really has an impact on the car's drop.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:46 AM

sl500 2003
Eibach Spring

Originally Posted by Martin
If you raised the car by 2-3 inches then I would assume that the springs are installed incorrectly and the car may be dangerous to drive.

On my CLK320 the stock pads were #5 pads in front and #4 in rear. With Eibach springs and the stock pads the car was lowered 0.75 inches in the rear and nothing in the front; I changed the spring pads in front to #3, to get a 0.6 drop in the front.

I swapped the shocks at the same time to Koni’s this may have some impact.
Martin:

After you installed the Koni shocks, does your ride seem a little floaty than stock?

Anyway, I got it figured out. I installed it backward (front shocks in the rear, vice versa).
For people in the future, if you see it ending with ...001, that's for the front.

....002, that's the back.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK320, Carrera S
Here is a write up about the suspension upgrade:

Eibach Springs & Koni Shocks
I did not want to lower the car much (max 1 inch), the roads around my neighborhood are not “low car” friendly and I was prepared to add thicker pads if needed to raise the ride height if the drop exceeded 1 inch. My car came stock with #5 pads in front and #4 in rear so this was not an option. I chose Eibach springs since they had the smallest drop, and Koni shocks because they are adjustable. With the stock pads the car was lowered about 0.75 inches in the rear and nothing in the front, I changed the spring pads in front to #3, that gave a 0.6 drop in the front. I set the shocks at the softest setting as recommended. With the original 16 inch wheels and Continental ContiExtremeContact all seasons on the car (it snows here in the winter and these tires are excellent value for money in the “all season” category) body roll is dramatically reduced and front end dive is close to nothing under normal driving conditions. The car feels much better connected to the road, is more stable at speed and in the corners. Cornering limits are higher as well. Ride quality is excellent, the car rides firmer but is not bone jarring and the reduction in body roll makes the car much more comfortable/fun on twisty roads. I may try the shocks at a higher setting but since this will require another trip to the mechanic I will wait. I was hesitant about destroying the comfortable ride of the car with this upgrade but for those of you who want to significantly improve the handling of your car without sacrificing ride quality I would say “go for it”. This upgrade has the most dramatic effect on the car and if you only make one mod to your car I would recommend this one. The springs and shocks were ordered from Tire Rack after a quick call to Luke to confirm my reading of the various options. Luke gave excellent advice and Tire Rack delivered the springs and shocks in 2 days with no problems. The springs and shocks cost including delivery $699.50. My mechanic took 4.5 hours to do the suspension swap including a test drive on various roads (cost $324).