CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Little help for a new owner...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 03:11 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little help for a new owner...

Just got a 2000 430 and have a few ?'s for everyone.

I cannot for the life of me get a Distance to empty, MPG screen to come up on the information console...what the heck am I missing...went all the way throught the manual and could not get it up.

While filling the gas tank it shuts off waaay earlier than full most of the time and I dont really want to overfill it..any suggestions or is this common?

and finally....after having it for three weeks...it makes a god awful rattle now...and unbelievably detailed and finicky...here is what the rattle does.
it sounds like two peices of plastic rattling around in a plastic can...it only occurs when the fan is on..it goes away if I am turning left...and increases if I am turning right and is constant if going straight....I know this sounds whiney...but it is drivin me bonkers...it is still starmarked for another 6 months..but not sure if they cover this prob...
Old 05-16-2006, 03:29 AM

2000 clk 430
No idea about the rattle but they will prob figure that out. I had the same problem when i bought my 2000 last fall with the mpg screen- just giveit a while it may start working fine. Mine had the same problem for the first week or so and then it just fixed itself- i think maybe not being driven while for sale has some kind of effect on the computer or something, and it just takes a while to work right again.
good luck try not to go bonkers
Old 05-16-2006, 06:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
The rattle is likely your blower fan....here's a test: When you hear the rattle, turn the fan off to your climate control. It should go away.

Have this fixed under warranty.

BTW, congrats and welcome!
Old 05-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Almost a Member!

thanks guys..!!!...We love the car!!!

Now it seems I have an issue with rear tire wear...the previous owner lowered it with eibach's but the inside of the rear tires are wearing out really really fast.....any suggestions?....can this be re aligned?
Old 05-16-2006, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Medicaptain
Now it seems I have an issue with rear tire wear...the previous owner lowered it with eibach's but the inside of the rear tires are wearing out really really fast.....any suggestions?....can this be re aligned?
Hope this helps!

http://www.speedybenz.com/

BTW, got any pics?
Old 05-16-2006, 10:44 AM

'03-ML350 'inspiration'
Originally Posted by Medicaptain
Just got a 2000 430 and have a few ?'s for everyone.

I cannot for the life of me get a Distance to empty, MPG screen to come up on the information console...what the heck am I missing...went all the way throught the manual and could not get it up.

While filling the gas tank it shuts off waaay earlier than full most of the time and I dont really want to overfill it..any suggestions or is this common?..
..Fuel sending unit?...Here, Medicaptain...Hope this will help.

https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w163/148515-faulty-gas-gauge.html

Cheers mate!
Old 05-16-2006, 01:18 PM
JMA

CLK 430; Porsche 993
As far as rattle, the only one I ever had on my 2001 was when the Cat Converter started to grenade. I could here it at idle, but the sound did change based on speed and other factors....might be worth a consideration.

JMA