CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

clk55 or viper gts???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G63, AMG GT S
Now it's time to change your handle.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by ERICCLK55
well so far, the gas milage is horrible compared to the 55, but only b/c i have been driving it totally different than i did my 55.
Even if you drive it easy, gas milage is never going to be the same or even close to the 55!
Ask one of those women staring at the car to jump in, I don't think they refuse to do so!
Old 08-23-2002, 08:47 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
congrats on the VIPER. Don't forget to post some pictures of it once you got some
Old 08-24-2002, 03:18 AM
Almost a Member!

'04 Hummer H2
well the viper is supposed to get 20mpg on the highway, but i havent even gotten fast enough to get into 6th. well i got fairly good gas mileage in the 55, but your right, the viper wont compete (gas mileage wise). tomorrow i am waxing my car and will post pics, before i start, can you guys tell me how i do that, i dont even know. thanks
Old 08-24-2002, 05:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Well it is officially tomorrow I'm anxious to see the pics, where are they? too earlyto get up and wax?
Old 08-24-2002, 06:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S
It's even more TOMORROW for me...
Old 08-24-2002, 01:33 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 Hummer H2
guys, i need to know how to load the pics, i am going to wash it as wel speak, i had to catch up on some sleep, help me out, thanks
Old 08-24-2002, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S
guys, i need to know how to load the pics, i am going to wash it as wel speak, i had to catch up on some sleep, help me out, thanks

Make sure the pic is a valid extension for MBworld, and hit reply, and then click browse at the bottom of the REPLY page. Find the pic in it's directory, selec, and hit SUBMIT REPLY.
Old 08-24-2002, 11:43 PM
Almost a Member!

blk 2000 clk430
a viper or a saleen mustang is still a dogde and a Ford.....as soon as u drive out the door the value went down 50%.....same for Corvette......no matter what American car can't compete with European car in value and design.....stay with the CLK55 ......how many will look at a Corvette or a Mustang compare to a Benz...:-)....And for the folks who buy the S7 saleen for 450k u must own a lot of stocks with Ford company cause that equal to a 360 Modena spider,ML 55 and a CL55 plus some left over for some chicago pizza .......:-)
Old 08-25-2002, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S
Originally posted by chicagopizza
a viper or a saleen mustang is still a dogde and a Ford.....as soon as u drive out the door the value went down 50%.....same for Corvette......no matter what American car can't compete with European car in value and design.....stay with the CLK55 ......how many will look at a Corvette or a Mustang compare to a Benz...:-)....And for the folks who buy the S7 saleen for 450k u must own a lot of stocks with Ford company cause that equal to a 360 Modena spider,ML 55 and a CL55 plus some left over for some chicago pizza .......:-)
1. He already bought the car.
2. Ford is just a Ford? I don't know where you got your numbers from, but they do not loose 50 perecent. That is way too much, specialy for a Saleen.

And buddy, a Viper is not a dodge. Sure, it is made by dodge. But no one thinks of that when they look at it. It's almost like Viper is it's own brand.
Old 08-25-2002, 04:57 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 Hummer H2
its funny that you say that about it losing 50% out the door, b /c that did happen, but it was on the 55 not the viper, or any other viper for that matter. i didnt really lost 50%, but i called around to see what dealers would buy it out right for, and i was getting high 40's. haha, now thats horrible and even more of a reason to get rid of it now. i got 51 for it, and i am sure i could have sold it for a lot more, well mid 50's anyways, but the deal i got on the viper, i had to move fast. a viper isnt just any old dodge, its rare and fast as hell. a corvette is mass produced and the "true american sports car" or whatever, but there are so many of them that the value drops b/c who would get a new one when you can get a used one with 3k miles for 10k less. this is simple economics, the supply exceeds the demand, presents a fall in the market price. vipers, their supply is less than demand, therefore, the used car price doesnt drop all that much. you might say that there arent many 55's either, so their price should stay up, but how many people know the difference b/w a 320, 430, and 55? not THAT many people, but how many know the difference b/w a ford, chevy or viper? EVERYBODY!! so i belive i made the right choice in getting the viper, and i know you are bias towards the mb, i dont blame you, its an amazing vehicle, but you need to research your info a little better, and maybe brush up on some econ. i might have the advantage, i just finished it last semester in college.
Old 08-25-2002, 05:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
You've made the right choice! Now, where are the pictures?!??!?!
Old 08-25-2002, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S
its funny that you say that about it losing 50% out the door, b /c that did happen, but it was on the 55 not the viper, or any other viper for that matter. i didnt really lost 50%, but i called around to see what dealers would buy it out right for, and i was getting high 40's. haha, now thats horrible and even more of a reason to get rid of it now. i got 51 for it, and i am sure i could have sold it for a lot more, well mid 50's anyways, but the deal i got on the viper, i had to move fast. a viper isnt just any old dodge, its rare and fast as hell. a corvette is mass produced and the "true american sports car" or whatever, but there are so many of them that the value drops b/c who would get a new one when you can get a used one with 3k miles for 10k less. this is simple economics, the supply exceeds the demand, presents a fall in the market price. vipers, their supply is less than demand, therefore, the used car price doesnt drop all that much. you might say that there arent many 55's either, so their price should stay up, but how many people know the difference b/w a 320, 430, and 55? not THAT many people, but how many know the difference b/w a ford, chevy or viper? EVERYBODY!! so i belive i made the right choice in getting the viper, and i know you are bias towards the mb, i dont blame you, its an amazing vehicle, but you need to research your info a little better, and maybe brush up on some econ. i might have the advantage, i just finished it last semester in college.
You said it better than I did!
Old 08-26-2002, 12:10 AM
Almost a Member!

blk 2000 clk430
hihihi....5 years from now when you want to sell your viper or the Saleen then u will find out the value of your car compare to the Benz.....:-)
Old 08-26-2002, 05:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S
Originally posted by chicagopizza
hihihi....5 years from now when you want to sell your viper or the Saleen then u will find out the value of your car compare to the Benz.....:-)

Five years from now, the Viper will still have more value then the Benz will.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Originally posted by Toog4me

Five years from now, the Viper will still have more value then the Benz will.
Yes it will as long as you don't wreck it, lol
Old 08-26-2002, 02:15 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 Hummer H2
i really think you need to do your homework a little more. being a benz owner, and posting on the clk page, i am sure you already know that the w209 is coming out. the market is flooded with old w208s b/c of it. special ordered ones are hitting the floor now, and the production 209's are on the way. granted, the 55 will be tougher to get, but this is where people willing to settle bring the market down. the new viper, the 03 srt-10 is due out in november, but the first year and a half of production is sold out. to get one in november would cost over 100k. the used viper market isnt flooded, and usually people buying them are enthusiest looking for particular colors, years, etc. how many mb drivers look for a particular clk? i know that most of the people on here, the forum, if not all would love to have the 55, but what about a purchaser who is looking only for the body style, certain option, or whatever, but not the particular engine? since many people are willing to "settle" on a mb, the price drops b/c the owners who are selling have to drop their price to even compete in the market. so since mb puts out 3 different engine types, but they all carry the same options, with a few minor differences, the market really suffers. i dont know how else to explain that to you with out redundancy. in contrast, the viper comes in 2 body styles, coup and convert, but they have the same engine, wheels, interior, etc. the rear of the two is different, but besides looks they are the same. besides LOOKS!!! that is key. since almost all vipers are either a or b, there is little to choose from, therefore, the market stays up. if you like the gts, you are basically getting the rt10, but it looks a little different in the rear and has no removeable top, and vice versa. economics 101 via ericlk55
Old 08-26-2002, 02:30 PM

Eric - dont' let these guys get to you, if your happy with the purchase that's all that matters.
You made the right choice and I can't wait to see the pics.
Old 08-26-2002, 02:40 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 Hummer H2
thanks for the wake up call, its not that i am second guessing myself, its just that it bugs me when people give their opinion with wrong info that they base their decision on, for all they know, if they actually knew the right info, their decision might be different. so instead of me calmly explaining it, i blow up and lash out. but now i will keep my cool. well it rained here today and a little yesterday so i am going to wash it right now, the hopefully get the pics up, i promise they are coming.
Old 08-26-2002, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S
Hey, I'm on your side. Or atleast I think I am. I'm the one defending you!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2002, 05:28 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 Hummer H2
toog, i am sticking up for us both!!!!! i know you were standing up for me, i was talking about chicagopizza guy. toog, sorry if you got the wrong idea, but when i was refering to "them" i meant whoever thought what i did was stupid, but really referring to chicagopizza. sorry man
Old 08-26-2002, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S
toog, i am sticking up for us both!!!!! i know you were standing up for me, i was talking about chicagopizza guy. toog, sorry if you got the wrong idea, but when i was refering to "them" i meant whoever thought what i did was stupid, but really referring to chicagopizza. sorry man

No problem... its hard to know what people are saying nowadays, specially after the thread about the S and the LS.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:25 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 Hummer H2
i tried to post my pics, it said that they were too big, the file was 600k bytes, versus the 208k it will carry, what do i do to change that?
Old 08-26-2002, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G63, AMG GT S
i tried to post my pics, it said that they were too big, the file was 600k bytes, versus the 208k it will carry, what do i do to change that?

Make sure the file is a .jpg file, and if you need to shrink it down, try doing that by 75%. What photo prog are you using?
Old 08-26-2002, 11:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
When you save the jpeg specify a higher compression, about 50% compression would make the file smaller.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: clk55 or viper gts???