CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Can I get a command?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 02:55 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I get a command?

Is there anyway possible to get a command installed in my clk, I regret everyday that I did not get this option. I will pay any amount for it. Maybe it is possible if i find a car a clk at a junk yard with the command in it. I can take it out and have someone install it for me, is this possible, or is there like 20 other pieces all over the car that goes with it. I dont know why benz makes it such a big issue for it not to be an acessory, it really should be one. Especially considering how long extra you have to wait to get a car with it.
Old 12-17-2001, 05:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Retrofitting COMAND is a seriously labor intensive operation, because significant amounts of the interior panels [including centre console] need to be removed. But you say that you will pay anything :-) Although, given that US cars are partially pre-wired, maybee enough of the cables are there that someone who is willing to modify the wiring harness can use the existing harnesses and integrate them with the new COMAND harness [its not that tricky if you can read circuit diagrams]

In order to install it, there are 3 parts needed, COMAND, the wiring loom and a mounting bracket.

The cheapest place to get a COMAND is from EBAY - its best to buy the one for the correct car, ie starting with A208 as the fixings are subtly different. I also beleive there have been two seperate releases in the USA, but one may be updatable to the other with a software update which allegedly the US dealers have. Alternatively, you can buy it from your dealer - in UK they are about £2200 (~$3300) but I dont know what it would be in US !

If you are buying from Ebay, i'd buy a US COMAND [ie one without the TV button] as the dealers may be more comfortable about it, these appear on ebay in Germany every couple of weeks, in fact, there is one on ebay right now that ends in a few hours *but* thats an E class one and will be harder to fit in your car.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISA...tem=1677163380

However, my general advice is to sell the car and buy a new one with COMAND because of the labour your dealer will charge you to install it, and also, because the rear windscreen is different on COMAND cars in Europe, and I dont know why [it may be more than just the prescence of TV aerials in the european COMAND equipped rear windscreens]

R
Old 12-17-2001, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Not worth the trouble.

On a new car the command option is a little over $2,000. To have it retrofitted, I doubt that MB has a qualified tech he wants to do it.

Call 1-800-for-merc, and see what they say.

I had a question re retrofitting voice command - that was 3 weeks ago. They - MB - never called the dealership back. At this point, I am not pursuing re-trofitting anything.
Old 12-17-2001, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Karl - the phone and voice control and I think CD changer are never factory fitted on US cars, they are fitted at the port or at the dealer - so your dealer should have no problem fitting those - all the wiring and switches are there already - just plug in the cables, and some stuff on the fibre optics and use the diagnosis machine to tell the head-unit that there is now VCS connected

- On EU cars, they are basically only factory fitted, the wiring looms are not pre-installed. Which means retrofitting a CD changer means taking the car apart to put the fibre optic loom and power cables ...

R
Old 12-17-2001, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
tnx Richard -

you are correct. Cd install was no problem. VC unit is $480 plus labor. Dealership not interested in pursuing w/MBUSA & I lost interest as well.