CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

touch up paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
touch up paint

Question,

I have a silver w208, and as everybody with one knows they scratch often and easy. How do i resolve this? do i get the entire car redone or get the deep scratches touched up and if possible can i get a clear coat applied to it to make it shine like new?

or

does Benz dealers have a solution for this ?
Old 05-25-2006, 05:57 PM

clk
See if you can live with it. If not, if the scratches are not too deep, take it to a professional detailer and see if they can buff it out. If not, and you have some money to burn, take it to a bodyshop and have it done professionally.

Whatever you do, never do it yourself with manufacturers matching touch up paint. The damn paint doesn't even match. If you do decide to use it, you'll know what I mean and forget about all other options and head straight to the bodyshop.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:10 PM

2000 CLK430, 2012 BMW X5 3.5d
I feel your pain! Silver is TOTALLY impossible to touch up - even for small chips - this really applies to all light metallics. The factory paint does match - however you have to shake it for about 5 minutes and then apply VERY THIN - do not try to use a toothpick and create a blob - it will not work. Even when you apply very thin try not to paint anywhere where the paint is good. You have to use the clearcoat after the base otherwise it will fade/turn very quickly.

I've found the only way to properly blend is to first use a Duplicolor primer filler in the pen bottle to fill the chip - slightly below the original paint. Then - after shaking the bottle for at least 5 minutes - brush over - thin - repeat very thin otherwise the repair will look much darker than original. Get a good artist's brush don't use the one in the bottle and drop a blob of paint on to a piece of plastic to mix with your brush - use as little paint as possible. Wait at least 2 hours then you can brush or pick drop the clear.

Long scratches are pretty hard no matter what color - except for black.