CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Mercedes Tools

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Mercedes Tools

Sooo, I tried to do some stupid maint stuff myself this weekend. I figured out how to replace the interior charcoal air filter with not too many issues. I wanted to replace the engine air filters next....so I popped the hood, unhooked the air intakes, and took off the engine cover. So far, Im doing well. But of course, Mercedes has to make things difficult. I dont have a star screw driver to get into the air filter box. Does anyone know where I can buy this screwdriver? Is there a tool kit or something?
Old 06-05-2006, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
1st, i dont think the CLK ever had an active charcoal air filter, it just has a regular cabin air filter at the underside of the glove compartment...

as for the screwdriver, check at your local home depot or hardware store... if its a star shaped design, its most likely a torx (or allen) wrench... now you just need to know how big it is. most stores sell them in a variety pack, so you should be able to get the size you need.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:48 PM

2000 CLK 430
Originally Posted by chem1441
Sooo, I tried to do some stupid maint stuff myself this weekend. I figured out how to replace the interior charcoal air filter with not too many issues. I wanted to replace the engine air filters next....so I popped the hood, unhooked the air intakes, and took off the engine cover. So far, Im doing well. But of course, Mercedes has to make things difficult. I dont have a star screw driver to get into the air filter box. Does anyone know where I can buy this screwdriver? Is there a tool kit or something?

I bought a screw-driver type thing at autozone... bring the airbox into the store to compare... thats what I did
When I get home i'll check the actual name of the tool.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:06 PM

2016 C450 AMG
awesome guys thanks!! I have a feeling its a torx screw driver set I need to buy...not a big deal. And oh, the Bosch cabin air filter I have definately has the charcoal layer built in....its advertised all over the box....and Iv'e noticed a big improvement in the smell of the interior air since replacement...its got that clean, "mercedes" smell back!!
Old 06-05-2006, 09:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 Silver CLK430
Originally Posted by mmgrad
1st, i dont think the CLK ever had an active charcoal air filter, it just has a regular cabin air filter at the underside of the glove compartment...

as for the screwdriver, check at your local home depot or hardware store... if its a star shaped design, its most likely a torx (or allen) wrench... now you just need to know how big it is. most stores sell them in a variety pack, so you should be able to get the size you need.
Regarding the charcoal filter, my CLK had one and I replaced with another one. Supposedly they are better at removing odors. You can get them from autohausaz . com for cheap.