CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

430 v. 55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 06:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
430 v. 55

So I posted these questions in another benz forum and figured I would post here as well.

So I found a couple of CLKs to look at for my first purchase of an MB and was wondering, is there really a day and night difference in the 430 and the 55 as far as power "feel" when driving? I know the 55 puts out about 60-70 more horses, but is it that much bigger of a difference?

I know I will find this out for myself when I drive them, but I thought I'd ask around.

Also anyone know if there is huge difference in insurance between the 430 and 55?

Any comments welcome....
Old 06-29-2006, 07:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by falls profet
So I posted these questions in another benz forum and figured I would post here as well.

So I found a couple of CLKs to look at for my first purchase of an MB and was wondering, is there really a day and night difference in the 430 and the 55 as far as power "feel" when driving? I know the 55 puts out about 60-70 more horses, but is it that much bigger of a difference?

I know I will find this out for myself when I drive them, but I thought I'd ask around.

Also anyone know if there is huge difference in insurance between the 430 and 55?

Any comments welcome....
The biggest difference you will feel is the torque: 376 lb.-ft. in the 55 vs. 295 lb.-ft. in the 430...and is reflected in the 0-60 times as published by Mercedes-Benz (4.9 and 6.1 respectively). MB rates the CLK 430 at 275hp and the AMG at 342.

Frank Barrett of The Star magazine (MBCA) wrote that the CLK55 felt like a CLK430 "cubed"....that description impressed me.

Insurance will likely be more, as will the maintenance costs. OE brake pads and rotors are expensive on the AMG (front pads alone were almost $300 - parts cost, no labor) last time I checked over a year ago. Expect a complete brake job to run you at least a grand at dealer prices. Depending on your driving record and age, insurance costs will be your smallest expense with ownership (mine runs $1100 per year - clean record - age 40). Tires wear quickly with that much torque and folks here have reported having to replace tires in as little as 10K miles. I get around 16K miles out of mine, but others have managed to get over 20K miles.

I would venture to say that most W208s are now out of the factory (4/50) warranty - mine ended last week - which included the A and B service costs during that period of ownership. I have a factory extended warranty (3/100), but now all service costs are on my dime.

Inside, the difference is readily apparent. The W208 AMG came with basically every option as "standard", except for phone, CD changer and COMAND (Navi). The AMG sport steering wheel is nice, as is the signed AMG instrument cluster and floor mats.

Visually, from the exterior, there is little to differentiate the 430 from the 55...wheels, exhaust and badging (from a glance) and the Ate calipers and rotors upon closer examination.

My advice is to find the best example you can with the lowest mileage and then have a thorough PPI done.

Good luck in your search.