CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Questions re: buying 2000 clk430 60k miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions re: buying 2000 clk430 60k miles

I have located a 00 CLK 430 cabriolet with 59.5k miles offered by a broker on consignment. Silver/gray. Only option is cd changer.
The car needs some internal reconditioning. Floor mats are missing. Buttons worn. Stain on rear carpet. Small tear (.5 inch) on vinyl of rear passenger arm rest. Covertible top is in good shape but needs a good cleaning (it is grey and shows dirt easily). Carfax is clean.
The car was originally listed @ $26k, after a month lowered to $23k. I offered $21.5k which the owner accepted.
The broker will take it to local MB dealer for inspection (paid by me, of course) and will provide service records.

If the car checks out, is this a decent deal?
Also, the car will need 60k service soon after I pick it up. How much should the cost if done by a good indy?
Any problems to look out for in the year and model?

I'm really stoked about this car; its beautiful, powerful and and drives wonderfully, however, I don't want to buy a money pit. Any advice appreciated.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:30 PM
Almost a Member!

clk
im almost positive you can get a better deal for under 20k
Old 08-06-2006, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
buy mine! check it out in the classified section!
Old 08-06-2006, 11:05 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by billc112
I have located a 00 CLK 430 cabriolet with 59.5k miles offered by a broker on consignment. Silver/gray. Only option is cd changer.
The car needs some internal reconditioning. Floor mats are missing. Buttons worn. Stain on rear carpet. Small tear (.5 inch) on vinyl of rear passenger arm rest. Covertible top is in good shape but needs a good cleaning (it is grey and shows dirt easily). Carfax is clean.
The car was originally listed @ $26k, after a month lowered to $23k. I offered $21.5k which the owner accepted.
The broker will take it to local MB dealer for inspection (paid by me, of course) and will provide service records.

Also, the car will need 60k service soon after I pick it up. How much should the cost if done by a good indy?

I'm really stoked about this car; its beautiful, powerful and and drives wonderfully, however, I don't want to buy a money pit. Any advice appreciated.
21K is about right for a cab. I should have held out myself. I bought a 2000 430 Cab for $24k (68K miles). However, I knew nothing about this website before I bought and surely wish I did. I am very happy though.
Known issues? Crankshaft position sensor (I had that one. Car cut off at a traffic light...yikes! good thing I wasn't on the highway!), Mass Air Flow (sensor?), and a couple of other thingys. I advise you to read as much on this forum as you can. Skip the threads addressing mods and go to the ones addressing repairs. You get a good feel for what to expect, especially symptoms of problems.
MAKE SURE THAT CONVERTIBLE TOP WORKS! I'd put it to the test no less that 5 times before taking the car. A grey top? Ouch. That baby is going to be tough to keep clean (I have black on black car w/the grey interior). I wouldn't worry about too many cosmetic issues but that's just me. I didn't get floormats or a owner's manual but somebody (on here) sent me a link to an online manual. I'll get floormats.
If you have any questions, feel free to PM and GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-06-2006, 11:56 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet

By the way, here's a link to a site where you can get pricing on some repairs. Kind of cool because it'll give you an idea how much repairs and normal maintenance items can cost you.

http://www.theworkshopmercedesbenz.com/CLK-Class.htm
Old 08-07-2006, 10:03 AM

Hey man- you should buy mine. Im willing to work out a good deal. Asking for 27000, but we can figure it out. Its a clean car. Just had Service B done, changed front brakes and rotors last week. I have pics if you want to see them. Thanks
Old 08-07-2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by muffins
Hey man- you should buy mine. Im willing to work out a good deal. Asking for 27000, but we can figure it out. Its a clean car. Just had Service B done, changed front brakes and rotors last week. I have pics if you want to see them. Thanks

Getting more from me.

Trending Topics

Old 08-07-2006, 10:54 PM

Muffins: please give me more info: year, color, cabriolet?, milage, etc.
Maybe we can work something out, but I'm close to committing on the other car, so we'd have to move fast.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:06 PM

Preinspection results:

Right rear lid compartment weather seal deformed and torn.
Roll Bar light stays on (but no code faults).
Front bumper replaced -- "fender bender".
Right rear quarter panel repainted -- "keyed".
Front rotors and pads need replacement.
Rear pads only 30% left.
Left side valve cover leaking.
Rattle in dash.
A service due in 2k miles.

Overall, not too bad, I think.
I am trying to get service records re: "fender bender" too make sure it was as minor as owner claims. I am concerned about the roll bar light and will persue this further. I assume weather seal is no big deal and will eat cost. I will ask owner to compensate for brakes ($$) and valve cover leak (fairly minor as per service tech). I did not notice rattle on test drive, but I am sure it will now drive me crazy!

Do any of these problems raise alarms with those "in the know".
Old 08-08-2006, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
Just for kicks, check out the area where the hood comes between the big oval headlight and the small oval headlight. On my old car that was possibly in an accident (no carfax records and dealer "didn't know") the left and right sides weren't the same. Also check the spacing between the hood and the fenders...it was messed up on mine.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:47 AM

Muffins: please give me more info: year, color, cabriolet?, milage, etc.
Maybe we can work something out, but I'm close to committing on the other car, so we'd have to move fast.

OKAY- Its a 2001. Silver Coupe. Gray Interior. The leather is very clean. Has 62,100 miles. Its in excellent condition. Changed the oil every 5k not 10. Just had the service B done at Mercedes Dealer. Just replaced, last week, the front brakes and rotors.

The car is awesome. Its clean inside and outside. Garage kept. Also i installed the Xenon headlights upgrade. It looks sweet at night. I have pics for you. I need to get rid of the car like soon. Lets finish this up. There are no problems with the engine runs really smooth. I took really good care of it. The only thing is a small scratch on right rear bumper.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:20 AM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Preinspection results:

Right rear lid compartment weather seal deformed and torn.
Roll Bar light stays on (but no code faults).
Front bumper replaced -- "fender bender".
Right rear quarter panel repainted -- "keyed".
Front rotors and pads need replacement.
Rear pads only 30% left.
Left side valve cover leaking.
Rattle in dash.
A service due in 2k miles.

Overall, not too bad, I think.
I am trying to get service records re: "fender bender" too make sure it was as minor as owner claims. I am concerned about the roll bar light and will persue this further. I assume weather seal is no big deal and will eat cost. I will ask owner to compensate for brakes ($$) and valve cover leak (fairly minor as per service tech). I did not notice rattle on test drive, but I am sure it will now drive me crazy!

Do any of these problems raise alarms with those "in the know".
The 'rollbar' (which is actually the rear headrests) light is a concern to me. I have a Cab. Do know, that a few things need to happen to make the top work. 1, the windows go down. 2, the headreast/rollbars go down (if they're in the up position). and 3, the one I didn't know about (and apparently a lot of indy mechanics too!) the freakin trunk lock. The lock MUST send a closed/locked signal to the convertible top's computer (the top has it's own computer) to let it know that it's ok to begin operation. The same goes for the headrests, so if the headrest/rollbar light stays on, hmm..... If it blinks a few times after the car starts thats ok. But staying on? My top broke right after I bought mine. 2 mechanics attempted to repair it (seller's expense ). They had fancy MB computers and everything but they couldn't PERMENANTLY fix it. After I got it home (to my area), I took it to my guy who already had a 2000 430 Cab in the shop for THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. Again, it turned out to be the trunk lock, something you wouldn't think would stop the top from operating but there ya go. Have you tried the top yet? If so how many times? Again, make sure that top works! The other repairs sound reasonably inexpensive but if that top ain't workin...yikes!

Last edited by Whodat; 08-08-2006 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:42 PM

Muffins: Sorry, but I looking for a convertible!
Old 08-09-2006, 09:37 AM

Muffins: Sorry, but I looking for a convertible!

thats cool. thanks anyway
Old 08-10-2006, 12:06 AM

Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to kill the deal
Too may troubling questions unanswered.

1.Despite written prepurchase inspection, MB service is now saying there is no problem with roll bar light, brakes do not need to be replaced (despite only 25% remaining on front pads and "shimmy at brake". They write "front accident!!!" but now say only tha the bumper was replaced. I am suspicious that they documented all these problems in writing, but in person, deny any of them. Also, in reviewing the service records I do not see the plugs or fuel filter replaced (is this standard in A or B service). Also, brakes and rotors in front changed at 38K miles (by dealer) but now have worn pads and aftermarket rotors at 59K. So, essentially they've gone thru 2 sets of pads and rotor in 21K miles!!!

I asked the seller to give me records regarding "fender-bender" repairs but have yet to receive anything.

I really like the car, but am not getting answers to what I consider legitimate questions.

So I guess the hunt for a "new" car begins again.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
Wise decision...don't take any chances on an out-of-warranty car like this.