CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

(ESP, BAS, ABS) - Brake Switch Problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(ESP, BAS, ABS) - Sutck in park - Maybe a brake Switch Problem?

My wife goes out of town (from Las Vegas to St. George) this past weekend and my CLK430 craps out on her while at a convenience store.

The car is stuck in park and wont budge. She has three errors, I will try to remember them correcty. "ESP, BAS, ABS" and "Visit shop immediately (or something like that.) So we call our Merc shop and they tell me it is most likely the brake switch under the brake pedal, about a $12 part.

Does anyone know how to change this part? Is it easy to DIY? There are no dealers where she is and the shops are all closed until Monday which means I have to tow the damn thing to be stored over the weekend. Or, I can swing by the stealership, pickup the part, drive 150 miles and try to install it myself. That beats towing the car to a shop and wainting until Monday or Tuesday to see what to do next.

Have anyone had this probelm? Argh!!!!!!

Last edited by mattr2; 08-12-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 430
Pick it up and drive there will be cheaper. U already saw the diy post ...so get to it!

Originally Posted by mattr2
My wife goes out of town (from Las Vegas to St. George) this past weekend and my CLK430 craps out on her while at a convenience store.

The car is stuck in park and wont budge. She has three errors, I will try to remember them correcty. "ESP, BAS, ABS" and "Visit shop immediately (or something like that.) So we call our Merc shop and they tell me it is most likely the brake switch under the brake pedal, about a $12 part.

Does anyone know how to change this part? Is it easy to DIY? There are no dealers where she is and the shops are all closed until Monday which means I have to tow the damn thing to be stored over the weekend. Or, I can swing by the stealership, pickup the part, drive 150 miles and try to install it myself. That beats towing the car to a shop and wainting until Monday or Tuesday to see what to do next.

Have anyone had this probelm? Argh!!!!!!
Old 08-12-2006, 07:17 PM

Done

Yup, I picked up the part at the local dealer (Fletcher Jones of Las Vegas); and yes, they raped me at 2X what other forum members paid for it. It was still only $28, but still double nonetheless.

In short, problem fixed thanks to this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/125080-bas-esp-abs-problem-diy-repair.html

I love this forum!