CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

outside mirror failure-rearview always dim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 clk cabriolet
outside mirror failure-rearview always dim

I have a 99 clk cab. with the drivers outside mirror that has lost the electrochomatic fluid and is now blurry and orange in appearance. My rearview mirror is always in the dimming mode unless I block the eye in the mirror. A few questions:

Are the two problems related?
If I install a regular mirror on the outside will it correct the dimming inside or is there a way to rewire to correct?
Will the heating work if I replace with a regular mirror?
How do I remove the glass on the outside mirror?
Does anyone have the outside mirror glass or know a source other than the dealer?

Thanks
Old 08-30-2006, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by jwex2
I have a 99 clk cab. with the drivers outside mirror that has lost the electrochomatic fluid and is now blurry and orange in appearance. My rearview mirror is always in the dimming mode unless I block the eye in the mirror. A few questions:

Are the two problems related?
If I install a regular mirror on the outside will it correct the dimming inside or is there a way to rewire to correct?
Will the heating work if I replace with a regular mirror?
How do I remove the glass on the outside mirror?
Does anyone have the outside mirror glass or know a source other than the dealer?

Thanks
I just had this done. Top half of the mirror was clearer/white. The bottom half was more orangy and blurry. The grommet/washer that goes around the edge of the mirror glass had seperated causing the leakage of fluid. I couldn't take it anymore (because it was driver's side) and had my mechanic change it out. The mirror glass itself was $340(!) and my guy put it on for me free of charge because it should only take a minute or two. But it IS tricky, make no mistake. If somebody knows what they're doing, it's a quick swap out. If not, it'll take some time.
One other thing. There are two types on the w208. The only difference is the two take different connectors on the back for the heating element. The mirror for the 2002-03 w208s was cheaper ($260) than the one for the 98-02 208s.