CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Serious Trunk Problem...Unbelievable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serious Trunk Problem...Unbelievable

Ok, so I was about to go away for Labor Day Weekend. I put my luggage in the trunk of my 02 CLK 430 and I shut it. I drove to my girlfriend's house to pick her up and when I went to put her things in the trunk, it wouldn't open. The light on the trunk button in the center consol is constantly on and the remote trunk button on the key will not work.

Now I've read that others have had this problem so I tried to use thier solutions. Then I ran into my real problem: for some odd reason, the mechanical key does not fit into the trunk's lock tumbler! It fits perfectly into the door lock, but will not go more than 1/4 the way into the trunk lock. All of my things are in the trunk and my vacation has been put on hold.

I called road side assistance and they came out but still could not open the trunk. The dipsh*t even bent my key trying to jam it into the trunk lock. He was then trying to work through the small hole underneath the plastic where the first aid kit goes. Because of the size of the hole and the luggage in the trunk, he couldn't manage to engage the rear seat release nor the trunk lock. He told me that he will come back tomorrow and make the hole bigger (I guess by damaging the speaker deck lid) which I don't want to do but it seems I have no choice.

I cannot figure out why the key doesn't fit into the trunk. Anyway, does anyone know of any other options to open the trunk or release the rear seats? I'm about to call a locksmith to see if they can open the trunk. This sucks. I know I can fix the problem if I could get into the trunk at all, but I can't. It has ruined my hole weekend.