CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

H & R lowering springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H & R lowering springs

I have an '01 CLK 430 and I just ordered H&R springs from Tire Rack which are 1.4" lowering in front and 1.3" lowering in rear. I had my mechanic take out the front stock springs first and the H&R are noticeably short but when put in the car, it is not much lower. It only dropped the car about 3/8". I am not happy with the ride height and I'm wonderig if we are missing something or if something else needs to be done. I have noticed other pictures of CLK 430's with H&R springs and the ride height is A LOT lower than mine. Can anyone provide and assistance?

Martini-1
Old 09-05-2006, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' CLK55
Originally Posted by martini-1
I have an '01 CLK 430 and I just ordered H&R springs from Tire Rack which are 1.4" lowering in front and 1.3" lowering in rear. I had my mechanic take out the front stock springs first and the H&R are noticeably short but when put in the car, it is not much lower. It only dropped the car about 3/8". I am not happy with the ride height and I'm wonderig if we are missing something or if something else needs to be done. I have noticed other pictures of CLK 430's with H&R springs and the ride height is A LOT lower than mine. Can anyone provide and assistance?

Martini-1
2 things to keep in mind:

1. spring pads
2. car needs to settle
Old 09-05-2006, 05:13 PM

This may be a dumb question, but what do you mean by "spring pads"? My mechanic said there is only a small shim on the top of the spring and that is all he see's. I talked to a MB tech and he said that there is no shim to change and the springs do all the lowering and the height is what it is. Any suggestions?
Old 09-05-2006, 05:19 PM

2000 CLK 430
This may be a dumb question, but what do you mean by "spring pads"? My mechanic said there is only a small shim on the top of the spring and that is all he see's. I talked to a MB tech and he said that there is no shim to change and the springs do all the lowering and the height is what it is. Any suggestions?
the spring pads/shims come in different sizes... usually numbered 1-4... I believe the small the number the smaller the size/thickness of the shim/spring pad...
Old 09-05-2006, 05:36 PM

Do I order these spring pads/shims through MB or are they available through aftermarket companies? Will this also make a significant difference in the ride height?
Old 09-05-2006, 08:12 PM

2000 CLK 430
Do I order these spring pads/shims through MB or are they available through aftermarket companies? Will this also make a significant difference in the ride height?
MB will have them... since the thickness of each spring pad is different, yes it will make a difference in ride height