CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

We dont want no problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430
We dont want no problems

Alright so I have been livin in the city and with parking and whatnot here it didnt make sense to have my car with me. So I have been leavin it at a family members house out in NJ. Its been a month since I used my car and i recently paid it a visit to give it a cleaning, etc... and here comes the issues
(1) Turning on the car requires me to turn and hold the key in the furthest right position until after like 1-2 seconds it finally turns on...

(2) I go thru all the functions (lights, hazards, fogs, brakes, etc) and then i get to the A/C controls... at first it doesnt even respond and then it comes on full force... but i only had the fan speed on the second level... i turn the AC off and it doesnt turn off. I turn the car off and it continues to blow out the vents... BOOOOO! So finally to get it to go off i pull the fuse under the hood. Whew... no wasted battery but another thing to add to the list.

(3) So I back up the car to put it on the street to clean it and when I go to put the foocker in park, the gearshift wont let me shift past neutral into park! I finally figure it out and the only way it shifts into park is to turn off the car... put the key in the second position and then it allows me to shift into park.

(4) And finally - the top it off, I turn the car back on and put it into drive and i start rollin backwards... the instrument cluster where the D would be reads nothing. just a box full of squares... not its rollin backwards cause i am on an uphill (not cause its in reverse) - WTF!

Anyone put up with this sort of stuff b4?
When not drivin a car for a while, what kind of problems besides a battery dying out should I expect and is there any reset button i could hit?
While not in used - I had my uncle turn on the car every once in a while just to keep the engine goin...

HELP
Old 09-11-2006, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Has anybody spilled any liquid into the shift gate?

Originally Posted by wnycec
Alright so I have been livin in the city and with parking and whatnot here it didnt make sense to have my car with me. So I have been leavin it at a family members house out in NJ. Its been a month since I used my car and i recently paid it a visit to give it a cleaning, etc... and here comes the issues
(1) Turning on the car requires me to turn and hold the key in the furthest right position until after like 1-2 seconds it finally turns on...

(2) I go thru all the functions (lights, hazards, fogs, brakes, etc) and then i get to the A/C controls... at first it doesnt even respond and then it comes on full force... but i only had the fan speed on the second level... i turn the AC off and it doesnt turn off. I turn the car off and it continues to blow out the vents... BOOOOO! So finally to get it to go off i pull the fuse under the hood. Whew... no wasted battery but another thing to add to the list.

(3) So I back up the car to put it on the street to clean it and when I go to put the foocker in park, the gearshift wont let me shift past neutral into park! I finally figure it out and the only way it shifts into park is to turn off the car... put the key in the second position and then it allows me to shift into park.

(4) And finally - the top it off, I turn the car back on and put it into drive and i start rollin backwards... the instrument cluster where the D would be reads nothing. just a box full of squares... not its rollin backwards cause i am on an uphill (not cause its in reverse) - WTF!

Anyone put up with this sort of stuff b4?
When not drivin a car for a while, what kind of problems besides a battery dying out should I expect and is there any reset button i could hit?
While not in used - I had my uncle turn on the car every once in a while just to keep the engine goin...

HELP
Old 09-11-2006, 01:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 GMC Sierra
The car does not like to be alone, buy it some flowers and drive it more often. Sounds like the computer is falling asleep, you may need to have the workshop see if there is an excessive discharge on the electrical somewhere.
Ed
Old 09-12-2006, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430
Originally Posted by Chappy
Has anybody spilled any liquid into the shift gate?

no spills...