CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK - based on CL class or E class?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 CLK
CLK - based on CL class or E class?

As the title reads, is the CLK based on E class or CL class? Appropriate explanation would be helpful.

i was under the impression that CLK is CL Kompressor??? No?
Old 11-07-2006, 04:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
None of the CLK's come with the supercharger (Kompressor in German). CLK stands for Coupe Leicht Kurtz and the literal translation is Coupe/Light/Short. Don't know if that stands up or not b/c at ~3800lbs, its hardly 'light', but it is a shorter wheel base (than the CL) and is definitely a coupe.
Another way to look at it:
C - C Class; The same way you have A, B, C, E, G, R and S classes.
L - Luxuswagen; Luxury car; The refined version of the standard class; That's why you have CL, GL and SL classes.
K - Kurz; The shortened version of all the above; That's why you have CLK and SLK classes. I think of it as a shortened version of the CL.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:31 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by bbearden
None of the CLK's come with the supercharger (Kompressor in German). CLK stands for Coupe Leicht Kurtz and the literal translation is Coupe/Light/Short. Don't know if that stands up or not b/c at ~3800lbs, its hardly 'light', but it is a shorter wheel base (than the CL) and is definitely a coupe.
L - Luxuswagen; Luxury car; The refined version of the standard class; That's why you have CL, GL and SL classes.
K - Kurz; The shortened version of all the above; That's why you have CLK and SLK classes. I think of it as a shortened version of the CL.
Hey, I never knew that. I did read that AMG (whatever they translate to) stands for the two guys that 'invented' or perfected performance parts/engines for Mercedes and the town that they are from. Can you shed some light on the translation of AMG?
Old 11-07-2006, 05:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 silver
Are you some kind of genius? I never knew that either.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:51 PM

02 E55; 99 CLK430 (Sold)
None of the CLK's come with the supercharger (Kompressor in German).
I hate to be picky as you provided a nice explanation but I think you're just forgetting about supercharged euro CLK230's and the like.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:37 PM

My bad on that one, yeah the non-US models do have kompressors. As for the AMG question, you are right. AMG stands for Hans Werner Aufrecht (A) and Erhard Melcher (M) who founded the company at the Old Mill in Burgstall near Grossaspach (G), the birthplace of Hans Werner Aufrecht.
It is the performance tuning division of Mercedes-Benz.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:37 PM

CLK 430 Coupe
well I thought the E was redesigned in like '94 or '96 and the CLK came our (very similar looking) in '98 and the CL came out in like '99 or '00. so it was my understanding that the CLK was based on the E class. Are my assumptions incorrect?
Old 11-07-2006, 10:25 PM

Who's to say you are wrong, it does share many similarities. I like to think of it as a hybrid between the E class and the CL class (although the new style CL came out later).
Old 11-07-2006, 11:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 c240
Sounds like some of you need this book:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mercedes-CLK-SLK...QQcmdZViewItem

Product Description
Prompted by the success of the MX-5 the SLK was based on a chopped C-class platform designed to include the Vario retractable steel roof and shown as a concept car in 1994. Full production began two years later but the UK only got the flagship model with a 193bhp, 2.3-litre supercharged engine with automatic gearbox. It was not until 2000 that the six-cylinder engine was used mated to a six-speed manual gearbox.

With this came body styling changes. The CLK was also based on the C-class platform but came with four seats and looking very similar to the E-class. It quickly went from the 2.3 to the 3.2 engine. Then came a cabriolet version. Mercedes kept up the pressure by introducing the CLK430 coupé with a 4.3-litre V8.

EDIT: This one seems like it would work too: http://cgi.ebay.com/MERCEDES-BENZ-CL...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by The Jury; 11-07-2006 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:46 AM

CLK 430 Coupe
very interesting thanks man

bbearden
Who's to say you are wrong, it does share many similarities. I like to think of it as a hybrid between the E class and the CL class (although the new style CL came out later).
Yesterday 08:37 PM

there was an older CL? I didn't know that
Old 11-08-2006, 11:46 AM

2016 C450 AMG
I always thought the CLK was based on the C class, and not the E class or CL class. It has the same wheelbase as the old C class, so I think its the same chassis.... I think they just styled it similar to the E class (thank god!) but I wouldn't consider it an E class coupe....
Old 11-08-2006, 11:48 AM

yeah the older CL looked alot more like a S class. See pic below: