CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Star-Tac Phone Value Sold Separately

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star-Tac Phone Value Sold Separately

I have never used the Star-Tac phone which came with my CLK55 and a friend wants to buy it.

1) would you sell it?
2) will it significantly hurt resale value of the car?
3) how much is the phone worth (fair value...not really trying to make any kind of profit on the deal since it's a friend)?

Opinions welcomed and appreciated.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:22 PM

That's a tough one. I have an '00 CLK430 and use the phone constantly. It works fantastic and I think that it makes talking in the car infinitely safer and more convenient. However...

* there is no upgrade path for the phone. I am stuck in a timewarp with a '00 StarTac phone. These things go out of date faster than personal computers.

* a replacement phone, to my knowledge, comes in a "kit" which costs roughly $1000-$1500

* the dealer told me that you cannot buy a new MB V60 phone and plug it into a '00 CLK. Thus, to do an upgrade, you would have to buy a very pricey kit including a new radio. Even with that, I'm not convinced that it'll work with the display and other related electronics in the car.

So in summary, the integrated phone is very trick but a can of worms. I almost wish that it didn't come with my car and that I didn't live in fear of losing this potentially very expensive, outdated phone. If I were your buddy, I'd stay away from it. But if he really wants it, I'd say it's worth a couple hundred bucks.

If anyone else has info on how the upgrade path is for the integrated phone, please post it!
Old 09-11-2002, 05:35 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 55
The phone itself is just a part of the total phone package in the CLK. The big expense is the electronics package, which is used to interface with the radio and wheel buttons.

The phone, if you buy it from MB, is a couple of hundred dollars. The electronics are hundreds of dollars (~$1,000?).

If you sell the phone to a friend, he would not be able to use the phone in the car without buying the electronics, or removing them from your car.

I suspect, you would have to have a dealer uninstall the electronics from your car, and reinstall in the other car. This would add hundreds of dollars to the transfer.
Old 09-11-2002, 08:02 PM

'06 E350
Angry

The integrated phone is great, but as mentioned it is technology locked. I have had to replace my twice and it was a *royal* pain. First, AT&T would not activate the replacement. No amount of whining and escalating would change that, so I had to switch to Verizon. The second phone had an intermitent problem, so I ordered one. I am told I got the *last* re-man phone in the country. They are now sending them to Motorola for repair.

I am pissed and frustrated but dowanna spend the money on the upgrade kit.
Crap.
fubar
Old 09-11-2002, 08:18 PM

So they said that you had to buy a new kit if you wanted to upgrade the phone? That was possible? How much did they quote?

This technology is nice but certainly ages a car more quickly. They are victim to the same lack of standards you find in personal computing technology.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:50 AM

CLK320
You can upgrade your MB TimePort to Motorola's V60 if you have CLK 2001 or later.

The last I heard was $1,500 for the kit and the MB v60.

I have been thinking about upgrading my Timeport to v60 for months now and could not make myself to do it.