CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Service Questions (Vibration, Trans Link, Exhaust, more)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 12:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
95 E320 cab, 81 300D,, 83 300D
Service Questions (Vibration, Trans Link, Exhaust, more)

After replacing a motor mount (yes - I only did 1, and yes, I am an idiot for saving $70 so that I could eventually spend another 4 hours underneath a collection of rickety stands/jacks) and some other labor intensive work (cats) - it's time to get back to routine maintenance. Did the entire B service over the past few weeks. Lost some skin, learned a few things (mostly about what not to do). Picking up trans filter and gasket this afternoon (last change at 75K, I'm at 135K now) and I wonder if there are any lube points that should be addressed (besides throttle linkage). MB says no, but MB says lots of things.

Additionally, like most everyone, I have been fighting that vibration at idle for a while - with limited success. I still haven't done the MAF - and I probably should - but I hate throwing parts at a car without knowing. Anyway I was looking for any loose heat shields/exhaust brackets yesterday and I saw a place just before the center catalytic converters that I swear should have either a rubber bushing or exhaust hanger. Seems fairly tight, though. Anybody know where the exhaust hangers are supposed to be?

Retailers (brick and mortar) that carry wheel bearing oil seals. Lots of bearings around here (ATL), but no seals, and I want to do this now.

From underneath car, the trans linkage has 1/4" to 1/2" of play (side to side). Seems excessive. Normal?