CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Stiffer springs--recommendations?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2002, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stiffer springs--recommendations?

I'd like to stiffen up the ride of my '00 CLK430. The stock springs are comfy but not too sporty...

I'm not too concerned about lowering the car, in fact, i don't want it too low. I'd be happy bringing the front end down 1" and the rear about 1/2. The stiffness, though, i'd like to bump up considerably. I believe that the CLK55 is 30% stiffer than the 430. That sounds about right to me.

My question for all you is, any recommendations on the brand of springs? Most of the info for what I have seen is focused on lowering the car and doesn't give me the impression of how much stiffer they are.

I'm planning on bumping the wheels up to 18" shortly which will take some of the vagueness out of the ride as well.

Any tips would be great!

Anthony
Old 09-10-2002, 06:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would recommend either changing your springs and shocks to the Kleemann Suspension, or use H&R springs with Koni adjustable shocks. Both suspensions will provide exceptional handling over stock. In comparison to the stock 55 setup, we have customers who upgrade to either of the previously mentioned with tremendous results. If you are only looking to change your springs, I would go with H&R. Stiffness will increase, however you will have better results if you change your shocks as well.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks

Ben
Old 09-10-2002, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
Anthony,

I have the H&R Cup Suspension Kit. Very pleased with it. Ride is lower but too much. The performance is good for cornering and handling has a different feel altogether than stock. I don't race rather highway driving, so i wanted a stiffer feel w/o sacrificing comfort. I have read and heard Kleeman suspension is very good, but pricer than the H&R. Good luck

djamer
Old 09-10-2002, 07:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, the cup kit is also a great suspension, although lower than many people's preferences. In your post, did you mean to say "not too much" in terms of ride height, or do you find it to be too low?

Thanks

Ben
Old 09-10-2002, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
Originally posted by Mach430
Yes, the cup kit is also a great suspension, although lower than many people's preferences. In your post, did you mean to say "not too much" in terms of ride height, or do you find it to be too low?

Thanks

Ben
yeah, i mean't the ride is low but not too much.. :-)
1.9' front
1.6' back
with 17' AMG they look fine and no rubbing issues either

amer
Old 09-10-2002, 11:44 PM

2001 CLK 320
A pic would be very welcome..

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old 09-11-2002, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the input from everybody. Anyone have experience with the Evosport stage II suspension for this car? It doesn't really say what brand of springs & shocks are in the bundle...