CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK Sound Make-Over

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
CLK Sound Make-Over

Alright, so I agree with many of you here who think the CLK's Audio performance is not on par, even with their 'Bose' sound system.

So, I shelled out the $$$ and bought some fancy gear and patch things up, and here is what I concluded with:

- Alpine CDA-7995 CD/MP3 Player
- Alpine CHA-S634 6-Disc MP3 Changer
- Precision Power 4800 Chrome Power Amplifier (100x4 to power fronts & rears)
- MB Quart PSD 216 6.5 2-Way Components (fronts)
- MB Quart PWD 160 6.5 Midrange (rears)

And now that I got all the gear, my question is.... HOW DO I PUT THEM ALL IN

I've made a simple custom Amp rack in the trunk, but how do I go about putting in the rest....

-How do I take apart the center console to install Headunit?
-How do I take off door panel to install front speakers
-How do I install the rear speakers

Yes, I can take this to someone to have installed... but I've always wanted to learn on my own... but this is not a car I just want to 'MESS AROUND' with..

So, PLEASE HELP!!!

I'll definitely post pics once I get a chance to get everything installed.
Old 09-12-2002, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used to be a CLK430
Hey Danny,

Great choice on speakers, I love the Quarts. I did alot of my own stereo work on my 2001 Chevy Tahoe and found it to be pretty easy to deal with trim and such. I recently spoke with my buddy at a custom stereo shop in Houston about replacing my stereo and told him I was considering doing it myself, he suggested getting it done by a professional with an installation warranty. He has done some work for me on the side on past vehicles but said that he doesn't want to mess around with a Benz even though he deals with Bentleys, Ferraris, and other exotics at work. So my advice, get it done professionally, this way, if they break something, they pay for it. My .02. If you are still intent on doing it yourself here are a few tips I was given:

When replacing the dash and center console, put a bead of silicone between the wood insert and dash or center console

The rear 'hat' shelf is very difficult to remove and replace due to the powered headrests.

Good luck, and yes, please post pics!!
Old 09-13-2002, 03:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E400 COUPE SOLD -> Porsche Taycan 4S
mmgrad,

great choice in audio components. i too have mostly alpine and mbquart equipment. but, i recommend that you have it professionally done. if you had a car you didnt really care about and didnt mind experimenting with you installation technique, then i saw go for it. its going to be difficult because, 1) you have to gut out the stock system including all the fiber optic wires.. 2) wiring, the power seats make wiring through the floor pretty much useless because all the noise you signal can pick up. 3) the rear deck is a complete pain in the ***! the power headrests and the sunshade are a ***** to work around... i have an amp rack built and set verticaly up against the rear seats in the trunk. good luck either way you choose.

b
Old 09-13-2002, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
You are going about it bass ackwards, by buying all the components first. Maybe you got a great deal, that you could not refuse... But before I would proceed with an installation, here are my 2 cents:

Depending on your level of technical exertize and experience, I suggest that you talk to your MB salesperson and find out who their tech sub is that does radar, security systems and other after market installations on their MBs. Then I would talk to this tech sub to the dealership, -- for advice, suggestions and recommendations.

Caveat:
If you have COMAND or not, you would be voiding the MB warranty re the fiber optic network components.
Old 09-13-2002, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
unfortunately, I don't have COMAND... before I get started gutting (or rather, have someone else gut it), can anyone out there with a 2000+ model year CLK reassure me that nothing chaotic will happen....

outside of just losing steering wheel control and speed sensitive volume controls.

byip25: that is exactly the how I have my amp mounted too, but with a plexiglass opening (gonna add a blue flourescent tube at the bottom for little show light, amp is chrome so will look nice )... and that amp stretches the entire length of the backseat (about 2 feet)