CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Very annoying problem and start up is acting weird....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CLK430 (sold) 03 CL55
Question Very annoying problem and start up is acting weird....

Well, first off I'd like to introduce myself and thank everybody/anybody reading this and for any replys that come in return. Name is John, I live in Buena Park, California and drive a 99 CLK430. I bought the car in March of 06 and I felt like I rolled out of the Mercedes-Benz dealership, because the guy who took care of it was simply amazing, it was owned by 2 owners, the Boss and the Employee lol so I was lucky, the car was very pampered and runs strong. Only problem is....I don't have a garage to store it in nor do I have a car cover, the wax is gone, and the car is getting harder and harder to maintain the gloss and shine with the crazy weather were having out here in Cali....I've busted my butt trying to clean this car as best as I can, but now the 99 year shows...swirls are appearing (after all it is Black) and alot of chips up at front and the headlights are starting to fog but none the less it's not as bad as I'm describing it altho the swirls are very aggravating.

Okay before I go any further on making this Thread an introduction of myself and my car let's get to the point, lol.

First problem is the start up, when I fire it up and the car automatically goes into the pre-warmup rev, I get this weird flapping noise that comes from the engine bay the moment it starts up (it's hard to describe the noise ATM so thats what I came up with), this doesn't happen all the time but sometimes, I just don't know what it is, after the car warms up and I'm off to drive it for the day it doesn't make that sound anymore, anybody else had a problem like that before?

Second problem is after the start up, I will put it in Reverse and it makes a click coming from the rear end of the car, this has started back in Sept. and I have no clue wtf it is and it's really irritating me, this click noise also occurs when I gas from a stop sometimes.

*Note - I think the transmission might play a role in this? I'm not sure because after the warm-up and I shift into Reverse then Drive it takes a few seconds to get into Reverse fully it goes in R slow, then Drive a little bit but not as bad as Reverse.

If anybody knows what's happening please help me....I'm desperately in need of help.

Thanks.

- John

Last edited by John 99CLK430; 02-02-2007 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CLK 430, 2006 SL 55, 2006 Range Rover Sport, 2006 F-150 Super Crew
Originally Posted by John 99CLK430

Second problem is after the start up, I will put it in Reverse and it makes a click coming from the rear end of the car, this has started back in Sept. and I have no clue wtf it is and it's really irritating me, this click noise also occurs when I gas from a stop sometimes.

*Note - I think the transmission might play a role in this? I'm not sure because after the warm-up and I shift into Reverse then Drive it takes a few seconds to get into Reverse fully it goes in R slow, then Drive a little bit but not as bad as Reverse.

If anybody knows what's happening please help me....I'm desperately in need of help.

Thanks.

- John
I get the same "click" when I press the gas pedal sometimes, It's been going on for a few months, but I haven't had time to go check it out. Any info would greatly help me as well. Thank you.