CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Has anyone removed the CLK radio? There is no way to put in a double din headunit?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk430
Has anyone removed the CLK radio? There is no way to put in a double din headunit?!?

I bought a double din screen for the car which was supposed to take place of the 2 slots (stereo and compartment underneath). I took everything out except for the double din panel which holds the fatory stereo and slot underneath.

Can you remove this panel??

I'm talking about this thing..

[______]
[.........]

the solid line in the middle of the two slots is a plastic piece which obviously gets in the way of my double din deck.. i don't understand what should be done with this.. can it be removed or should i cut it out?

any help is appreciated on this.

i hate these freaking cars
Old 02-10-2007, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK/ML
You have to cut it out. Use a dremel tool to get it as close to the edge as possible. If I recall, it's plastic so you could probably use any cutting tool.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:28 PM

2000 CLK 320
Mine was cut out when I did the same thing you were doing and replaced mine with a COMAND. Get a dremel and cut it out. I got ripped off when I paid $80 to someone who spent 5 minutes on it.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:21 PM

clk430
thanks guys..
I cut it out yesturday

next question....

Where the hell do you find a good ground?

I initially thought I grounded it to the shifter assembly but it wasn't even a ground.

Now I just hooked it up to the big metal plate right under the carpet on the passanger side but i still get interference with the engine on.

Any ideas what I should use as a ground?

edit:

I tried everything and I still get interference when the engine is on. This is by far the biggest pain in the *** I've had on any cars. And all I'm doing is trying to install a headunit.

Last edited by NYCLK; 02-11-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' CLK55
Originally Posted by NYCLK
thanks guys..
I cut it out yesturday

next question....

Where the hell do you find a good ground?

I initially thought I grounded it to the shifter assembly but it wasn't even a ground.

Now I just hooked it up to the big metal plate right under the carpet on the passanger side but i still get interference with the engine on.

Any ideas what I should use as a ground?

edit:

I tried everything and I still get interference when the engine is on. This is by far the biggest pain in the *** I've had on any cars. And all I'm doing is trying to install a headunit.
you are only installing a head-unit? does your car have the factory bose system? if it does, the "interference" you are talking about is being caused by the factory amplifier (which is located in the trunk) not being fully compatible with the head unit.

if you don't have a bose system in your car, I don't see why you would be having so much trouble hooking up just a head unit.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
By interference do you mean a very slight hissing noise when you have the speakers turned down really low? As clkal said, I don't think you can do much about it. Something about impedence but I'm not sure haha. I had the same issue in my car.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by midget fidger
By interference do you mean a very slight hissing noise when you have the speakers turned down really low? As clkal said, I don't think you can do much about it. Something about impedence but I'm not sure haha. I had the same issue in my car.
You may have to bypass the factory amp and install all new speakers to get away from this...