CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Problems wit the CLK...starter??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 11:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK 320
Problems wit the CLK...starter??

after forking out a grand to have cylinder head removed to get broken plug out, this **** happens. my car has been giving me problems starting. well i turn the key to turn on as i usually do-you know who we are suppose to turn the key all the way to right and quickly let go.. but car fails to turn on. i have to give it a 2nd try and hold the key all the way clockwise for longer now for it to start. luckily it has started on second try.

are these signs that my starter or something else is goin bad???

and on top of that, since having this problem, my gas gauge is not working. its been at FULL for over 100 miles now. about a year ago, it stopped working as well but managed to fix itself. i read here about faulty gas gauges. but its not that big of a deal cause i always fill up and then count the miles on a full tank. any suggestions on start up problem?
Old 03-06-2007, 01:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Piece of SH*T
Damn seems like you keep on getting bad luck with the CLK one after another after another..I really don't know how a bad starter would act like on a CLK so I couldn't help you...I remember other members having starter problems though just do a search. I hope I don't run into any of the problems you are going through..I'd probably end up selling the biatch!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RED CLK 430 Coupe
I had a problem with mine only it would show empty after I filled it up. As the tank went down it would go back to normal.

I took it to the dealer and they changed out the tank sensor.

Problem fixed!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:44 PM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
when you are starting the car does it make any kind of strange noises that aren't there normally? I have run into a few that make almost a grinding/screeching noise when starting. If that is the case I would recommend putting some anti-seize on the outer ring of the flex plate where the starter contacts it. Its a pain in the ***, but it works.

If you aren't hearing any sort of noise it is possible that your crankshaft position sensor could be failing.

As for the fuel level sender problem, I have seen more than a few that needed to be replaced because of related complaints.