CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

A/C Funk

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 05:54 PM
jsr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N/A
A/C Funk

A long time ago someone posted a message about a "funk" smell coming out of their a/c when they first turned it on. Someone else (I believe Brian) suggested a product to remove the smell. Anyone remember what that product was?

I did some searching but was unable to find the post, I believe it was from one of this forum's previous lives...

Thanks
Old 09-26-2002, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
that 'funk' as you call it is caused by the condensation left by the AC after you turn it off... which then turns into a form of mildew

you can take it to the dealer, and they can clean out the air ducts for you. Or if you prefer to do it yourself, you can purchase a disinfectant spray, that should take care of it for you.

in the future, if you would like to prevent this 'funk' smell from reoccurring, what you can do is, about 1-2 minutes before you reach your destination, turn off the AC and turn up the air a little higher. this will help dry out the air ducts, which will dramatically reduce the 'funk' smell
Old 09-26-2002, 08:46 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Re: A/C Funk

Originally posted by jsr
A long time ago someone posted a message about a "funk" smell coming out of their a/c when they first turned it on. Someone else (I believe Brian) suggested a product to remove the smell. Anyone remember what that product was?

I did some searching but was unable to find the post, I believe it was from one of this forum's previous lives...

Thanks
Star your car, put your a/c on WITHOUT the recrc. button engaged, then place a towel across your hood to protect the paint and spray lysol right in to the black plastic vent below the windshield for a minute or two. Do this a few times and it should kill the mildew.

RJC
Old 09-26-2002, 08:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That product was probably this:

http://www.carcareonline.com/wurth_acspray_11310.html

Worked like a charm on both my 55 and my 330.