CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Brake pedal fade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake pedal fade

After replacing rotors, pads, and sensors on my 99CLK, I seem to have a problem with the brake pedal grabbing very low. I've gone ahead and bled the lines, checked for leaks etc. I noticed that if I pump them up 2 or 3 times, they feel good, but its momentary. The next time I hit the pedal, they catch low. I also noticed that if I pump them up (with the engine off) , hold the pedal, then start the car, they will fade down low. I have no leaks, no system checks, just a very low pedal (unless I pump them up before a stop). Any suggestions?
Old 04-04-2007, 06:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
95 E320 cab, 81 300D,, 83 300D
Had same problem

the first time I did that same procedure on mine, I noticed the exact same thing - the problem was they performed fine, and didn't have any of symptoms associated with air in the lines. I re-bled them anyway, with a cheap mitivac ($25 from wal-mart, but it's still kicking). I do not believe you have problem. I did about 50 diag tests, and they all turned out negative. It may have something to do with adaptive braking system seeing the new pad thickness, or maybe it was always there and we just missed it (really, prior to that day, how many times did I stand on the brake pedal while parked with ign. off?).
As I never dug any further - I'm not saying you should ignore it, just telling you I saw the same thing after a pad/rotor/wheel bearing change - but that was 6 months ago, and I am still fine now.