CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

New rims / E Brake clicking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 06:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Silver CLS550, Blk M45, Lexus GX470 & an endless fleet of Avis Premium Rental Cars
New rims / E Brake clicking

I did a search on “clicking e brake after rim install” and found some useful information. My girlfriend just recently rimmed up here CLK with some 18 inch brabus VI style rims and after she drove the car home and E braked it; the next day the car clicked in the rear. I told her to pull the car in the garage and I’d call discount tire Monday to explain what was happening.

I drove the car 20mph to discount tire and I was told that it was left over tape on the wheel. After doing my homework on this site I told them that the bolts were the wrong size and they replied with, no way... we got the right bolt size. :/ -whatever-

Make a long story short; the bolts were too long and they replace them with locking bolts with the same thread count and the clicking never came back. My question is: Should I take the car in to Mercedes and have them inspect the e-brake springs to see if there was any damage, because Discount Tire agreed to pay for any damage since they used the wrong bolts, and they admitted to it.

Last edited by CakeDaddy; 05-16-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CLK 320
i was just press the ebrake and see if it still works. unless you want to pay a few hundred dollars to dealership for them to do it for you. plus what if theres nothin wrong, then your assed out. but its up 2 u
Old 05-16-2007, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 CLK430 (sold) 03 CL55
It seems that alot of people lately with the CLKs been have the same problem, the rear clicking, as I have this problem as well I went down to a buddys local shop and he said it may be the Under Control Arm, so to find out really what kind of "Click" your getting I'd suggest everyone to do this to find out the problem, have the car parked in somewhat of an open area even your driveway, put the car in reverse, hold the brake very tightly and punch the gas a bit, if you hear any creeking or click then you got a problem in the rear, I don't think a "rim" would have anything to do with this clicking problem, but I'm gonna get things checked out this weekend and update you guys on what the problem really is. Hope that helps.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
Talking

Sorry to burst the bubble but most of the people that have had this issue also just had new rims installed! I say this because I had the same thing when I replaced my rims and have a lip in the back! The front bolts were good but the back was to long!

Last edited by sick430; 05-17-2007 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Silver CLS550, Blk M45, Lexus GX470 & an endless fleet of Avis Premium Rental Cars
Originally Posted by sick430
Sorry to burst the bubble but most of the people that have had this issue also just had new rims installed! I say this because I had the same thing when I replaced my rims and have a lip in the back! The front bolts were good but the back was to long!
exactly, the problem started after the new rims and wrong bolts, but once the correct bolts were put on the problem was no longer. Its a shame it took'em 3 days to get it right. Its almost like they'd never done rims on a bezn before.

Krayzie_e99,

you are right; the dealer will charger me/us $100 fopr the inspection, but discount tire offered to pay if something is damaged, but so far.. no clicking.

John99CLK430,

It wasn't exactly the rims that caused th clicking; it was the wrong bolts. The bolts were too long and went through the hub and made slight contact with the harware behind the hub. When you get new rims the factory bolts are useless and shorter bolts are needed in most cases.

I appreciate you guys and your advice

Last edited by CakeDaddy; 05-17-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:36 PM

damn i wish I read this post earlier..

same deal with my 19" upgrade this weekend...

except the lugs were so long that after rolling 5 feet, it make DESTRUCTIVE noises..

immediately stopped....

put the car back on stands..pull the wheels and brakes off..

each lug came out destroyed....they were too long and the end of the thread was reached and then destroyed the threaded hub.

as soon as the rotor was popped off...the ebrake springs fell off,, all mangled and broken..OUCh.

off comes the hub....except it pulled the inner wheel bearing lining...DAMN

so now i need NEW Ebrakes, new LUG stud/nut conversion, new bearing, New Hub and the half-shaft re-install kit.

Damn these 19" OZ Racing wheel upgrade has been fighting me since day one..

Last edited by SoCalw11w123; 05-21-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:29 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabriolet
Wow! I knew there was a reason I'm staying stock. I can't afford to pimp out then chase gremlins. Thank god for this website though!

CakeDaddy: Does that say you have DATSUN (Nissan was Datsun for the younger crowd *LOL*)510!?!?!?! I used to love those dem things!
Old 05-23-2007, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Whodat
Wow! I knew there was a reason I'm staying stock. I can't afford to pimp out then chase gremlins. Thank god for this website though!

CakeDaddy: Does that say you have DATSUN (Nissan was Datsun for the younger crowd *LOL*)510!?!?!?! I used to love those dem things!
Dont avoid aftermarket wheels because of this issue...

just buy a stud conversion and use 19mm chrome nuts...

it was about 50 bucks for all 4 wheels..

dont fear the mods...This mod has been done Time and TIME again...

Do the reasearch and you wont get any gremlins...
Old 05-25-2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalw11w123

dont fear the mods...

but avoid gremlins...

see all fixed!
Attached Thumbnails New rims / E Brake clicking-fixed.jpg