CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Cut springs vs. shaved spring pads...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Cut springs vs. shaved spring pads...

Okay, now I know there are a number of you that have "modified" your springs in order to get that stance you wanted.... Right? Right.

So has anyone ever shaved a millimeter or two off of the top of the spring pads instead?

I'm sure there won't be a one for one difference in what you remove from the pad and the corrosponding drop in ride height. I just figure it's just easier to replace or modify the pads instead of the springs.

Let me know what you think...
Old 06-21-2007, 02:26 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 CLK320
I've never had experience with shaving/changing the springs to lower height but I know that lowering your height no matter what, with the same stock springs, your suspension will still be soft and your wheel has a greater tendency the wheel well because your car is lowered. I say dont run the risk and just save for lower stiffer springs. Not totally sure though just my 2 cents.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by DENNIStheMENACE
I've never had experience with shaving/changing the springs to lower height but I know that lowering your height no matter what, with the same stock springs, your suspension will still be soft and your wheel has a greater tendency the wheel well because your car is lowered. I say dont run the risk and just save for lower stiffer springs. Not totally sure though just my 2 cents.
I already have Brabus springs, but the drop is limited by the thickness of the factory spring pads. By shaving the pads you can better tweak the stance without disturbing the ride.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<---- No bottom spring pads in the front, down side is sometimes it makes squeeky noises on speedbumps or turns.