CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

W208 CLK AMG racing special / rally special

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 04:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
W208 CLK AMG racing special / rally special

There was a discussion a long time ago about various special editions from AMG which were hand modified, racing and rally versions of the W208.

One of the technical members of this forum mentioned the origins of the variable height electric / hydraulic struts used in the CLK.

I personally have seen them on the crashed Mick Doohan CLK Rally special but I was not paying attention to the brand.

Would any care to offer some advice on which brand is used by AMG's racing division ? I have been looking at doing the same thing to a street legal W209 and was wondering if anyone can help out.

This would be like a version of the airmatic W220 strut but for racing cars.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupé
Intriguing. Can you find the old discussion ?
Old 06-24-2007, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by neilbo75
Intriguing. Can you find the old discussion ?
Finding the one post among thousands is quite hard and there is no special keyword other than the name which I am not clear on.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
You might find some information here:

http://www.teamamg-mercedes.de/

Look under "DTM Team" and then "Partner". It shows Bilstein as an "Industriepartner".

I located this on Bilstein's website:

"Neben BILSTEIN gibt es kaum eine andere Marke im automobilen Umfeld, die eine so lange und erfolgreiche Karriere im Motorsport vorweisen kann. Mehrere Formel 1 Weltmeisterschaften, Siege bei den 24h-Rennen von Le Mans, in Daytona und am Nürburgring sowie etliche Rallye-Weltmeistertitel zieren bis heute die Erfolgsgeschichte von BILSTEIN."

.....and in English....

"There is hardly any other brand in the automotive industry able to look back on such a long and successful career in the sphere of motor sports. Numerous Formula 1 world championships, victories in the 24-hour races in Le Mans, in Daytona and on the Nürburgring circuit as well as a string of rally world championship titles serve to characterize BILSTEIN’s success story."

http://www.bilstein.de/cms_website/d...nz/Motorsport/

Last edited by Chappy; 06-29-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Chappy
You might find some information here:

http://www.teamamg-mercedes.de/

Look under "DTM Team" and then "Partner". It shows Bilstein as an "Industriepartner".

I located this on Bilstein's website:

"Neben BILSTEIN gibt es kaum eine andere Marke im automobilen Umfeld, die eine so lange und erfolgreiche Karriere im Motorsport vorweisen kann. Mehrere Formel 1 Weltmeisterschaften, Siege bei den 24h-Rennen von Le Mans, in Daytona und am Nürburgring sowie etliche Rallye-Weltmeistertitel zieren bis heute die Erfolgsgeschichte von BILSTEIN."

.....and in English....

"There is hardly any other brand in the automotive industry able to look back on such a long and successful career in the sphere of motor sports. Numerous Formula 1 world championships, victories in the 24-hour races in Le Mans, in Daytona and on the Nürburgring circuit as well as a string of rally world championship titles serve to characterize BILSTEIN’s success story."

http://www.bilstein.de/cms_website/d...nz/Motorsport/
Thanks, but this was called something else. It was electronic suspension with height adjustment.