CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Replacing Stereo Head Unit in 2001 CLK320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK320
Replacing Stereo Head Unit in 2001 CLK320

Hey everyone. First post here. I own a 2001 CLK320 Cabriolet. I want to replace the stereo head unit with a unit that has ipod capabilities. I have been given conflicting information regarding this.

I was told by a couple of people that in order to do this I must replace the amp as well. Another person told me that this is not true and all that I need to do is to run line-level audio outputs to the stock amp inputs. I have no idea what that means.

So, having said all that I was hoping that someone here could shed some light on this for me. I don't want to install peripheral equipment to get the ipod to work. I want to replace the head unit with one that has ipod connectivity.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cary
Old 08-17-2007, 11:08 PM

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 GLC300 & 2009 SL550 (previously had 1999 CLK / 2006 E500 / 2011 GL450)
Originally Posted by csilverman
I have been given conflicting information regarding this.... So, having said all that I was hoping that someone here could shed some light on this for me.

Cary
Check out the Audio & Electronics forum. If you have the same HU as my '99 (the one with the phone keypad on the right side), you can do it quite easily. I have an Alpine headunit, driving the Bose amp and speakers. Aside from the headunit and iPod cable, you need a Volkswagen radio adapter (by Metra) and a European antenna adapter. If you are going to do yourself, Crutchfield will include these items with your purchase if you tell them you have a '99 VW Golf, new body style (see my post on the Audio & Electronics forums linked below). These items are very common European car adapters, so they are easily found everywhere.

I also opted for a $20 accessory that would reduce the high powered amp in the new receiver to a lower level. This would prevent me from overdriving the stock amp, and give me a wider range of volume control. Details for this are also in my previous posts.

Previous Post Link
Old 08-18-2007, 10:29 PM

2001 CLK320
High Tech: Thanks for the information! The previous post was most helpful. Let me ask you a question, and please be honest. I have NEVER attempted to do any head unit install in my life. Maybe except for my 1969 Ford Fairlane about 30 years ago. Am I going to be able to do this myself without completely screwing something up? Your instructions sound pretty basic but I don't want to get in over my head. I am not an idiot and can follow instructions but I want to make sure that this is not overly complicated.

Also, one more question for you. I want to add the IPOD connector cable. What is involved in doing this?

Again, thank you for your reply. I sincerely appreciate it!
Old 08-18-2007, 11:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 c240
All you have to do is go by radio shack or the likewise and get four raw RCA's (the kind you build yourself). The speaker outputs on the stock radio go directly to the amp input. By using the speaker wires from the radio to the amp and building them onto the RCA's, you are instantly back to the proper voltage using the RCA's out of your new after market head unit to drive the amp just like you would any other amp. Cost in total.... about $3.

If your after market radio only has 2 RCA outputs, you'll also need a set of Y-splitters to make 4 into 2. (FR,RR,FL,RL)
Old 08-19-2007, 05:44 AM

C320T 4matic & 500SL
There is no digital audio network between the head unit and the amplifier.

But you will need an adaptor for after market head units with the original sound system. Sorry it's difficukt for me to explain it in english...