CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 430 Lifter tick at Start & Idle :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430 Lifter tick at Start & Idle :(

Car: 2000 CLK 430 100,100 miles

Problem: I hear lifter ticking at startup, and now at idle after warmed.

I have read many forums saying that if it doesn’t last more than 15-30 sec don’t worry. Well when my girlfriend drove the car home today I could hear the faint tick. I crouched down by the passenger side wheel and heard a faint metal tick noise. I compared it with her 1999 ML 430 with 120k and there is no tick from hers. Plus she has no noise at startup.

I bought the car nearly at the end of May. I took it in the end of June to the stealership which informed me that the car made no noise. When I picked the car back up that evening from the lot… it made the noise. I figured no big deal it is just at startup, but after hearing it today I know it will get worse.

The car was bought with a dealership warranty for 6000m or six months. I have a 100 deductible and they pay the rest with no max. Valve train is covered in the warranty.

Question:
1.Should I take the car to a Indy mechanic now (1000 miles before Service B) to have a oil change? Would this only be a temporary fix?

2. Should I go to the dealership and fight my case? Isn’t the problem due to extended oil changes that caused oil sludge? Is the hole lifter affected or just a small part? Also, is there a class action lawsuit from this?

3.Has anybody paid out of pocket for this procedure to be done…. What type of prices am I looking at? PM if needed.

I want to have a good case when I go back I can shove this info in the service manager’s face. That douche bag told me I had a rental car 4 days before my appointment, and then called me that morning to tell me they are all taken…. But that is another story.

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-19-2007, 04:08 PM

'99 CLK430
Pop the hood while it's ticking and see if you can locate the actual source.......ie coming from the valve covers or near the front frame rails. I to thought I heard a lifter tappet noise on several occasions until I investigated a bit closer and found a small black plastic part mounted to the top of the front frame rail which would start ticking a various tempos. Called my dealers shop foreman and told him the location and sound it made. He called me back in less than an hour and ID'd the part which is a solenoid for the emissions system.

This is just my .02 cents FWIW.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:59 PM

With the hood up on cold sart it sounds like passanger side valve cover. Plus it ticks everytime on start up.... lasts for 10 seconds and usually quiets. It now does it in the cold and after warm up. At 1000 rpm is is geting noticble.

My girlfriends old acura legend ticked.... mine is much quieter, but has similar characteristics.

I saw this... Not the same engine, but maybe the same parts?

SUBJECT: MODEL 210 with M112/M113 Engines
HYDRAULIC ELEMENTS "TICKING" NOISE DURING INITIAL OVERNIGHT AND/OR COLD STARTS
In cases of hydraulic elements "ticking" noise during initial overnight and/or cold starts, replace the exhaust valve hydraulic elements with hydraulic elements part number 113 050 00 80 05. Note: Please DO NOT replace the rocker arm assembly, part no. 113 050 05 34. Replacing the rocker arm assembly to repair hydraulic elements "ticking" noise is absolutely not necessary and extremely labor intensive.

Last edited by ApproachingZero; 08-19-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:54 PM

1999 CLK430 (sold) 03 CL55
Get the SAME thing, finally someone who has teh same problem as I do!!
I gave up and let it be, it does it at the beginning then goes away after awhile then it's done for the day, when the cars warmed up it stops.

Very weird, so it's the valve covers?...
Old 08-20-2007, 07:41 PM

Not the valve covers but the lifter element under the rocker arm. I have gathered some resources and am taking the car in Wednesday morning. I will probably have to plead to have the elements replaced, but I bought a Mercedes and I want a quiet ,efficient, and powerful engine. Plus this dealership offered a warranty 6k of 6 months and I will take advantage of it!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:06 PM

CLK 430
Positive fix anyone?

2000 CLK 430 120k Mobil 1 since new. I have a lifter clacking sound on startup in the morning, it goes away after 5 min. or so. Does anyone know if replacing the lifters will solve this problem, if so is it just the exhaust valve lifter or all 3 per cylinder.