CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Update: Not the MAF

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2007 | 09:09 PM

BMW
Update: Not the MAF

Hey guys,

I dropped of my car at the shop yesterday & just told him to replace the MAF. I told him the symptoms I had & he also agreed that it must be the MAF.

He did further investigation with the car & found a broken left motor mount.

According to them, they took out my air filter and road tested the car without it and the check engine light never lit up- excessive engine travel due to broken left front motor mount. They suspect the air filter housing is touching the hood and twisting the air mass meter and creating a lean mixture which causes lean mixture misfiring which is setting misfiring fault codes.

Anyways, I picked up the car about an hour ago. My dad will be ordering the motor mount himself & installing it at his dealership.

I hope this will finally solve the problem!
Old 09-13-2007 | 05:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, C63
Originally Posted by Jessica90
Hey guys,

I dropped of my car at the shop yesterday & just told him to replace the MAF. I told him the symptoms I had & he also agreed that it must be the MAF.

He did further investigation with the car & found a broken left motor mount.

According to them, they took out my air filter and road tested the car without it and the check engine light never lit up- excessive engine travel due to broken left front motor mount. They suspect the air filter housing is touching the hood and twisting the air mass meter and creating a lean mixture which causes lean mixture misfiring which is setting misfiring fault codes.

Anyways, I picked up the car about an hour ago. My dad will be ordering the motor mount himself & installing it at his dealership.

I hope this will finally solve the problem!
good luck with the repair! I need to replace both my motor mounts and tranny mount. Can your dad give me a good deal on parts and labor?
Old 09-13-2007 | 01:17 PM

BMW
Originally Posted by OPALW208
good luck with the repair! I need to replace both my motor mounts and tranny mount. Can your dad give me a good deal on parts and labor?
Thanks!

There's a change of plans. I'm not taking the car to my dads dealership, I am taking it to my other mechanic (who did all the major work on bmw like replacing my engine etc...)

The mechanic called this morning and told me he ordered the motor mount & that it already arrived at the shop. I'll be heading to his shop around 12 ish.

If you'd like, I can refer you to the shop..
Old 09-13-2007 | 08:21 PM

BMW
I was waiting at the shop while they were doing the work.

My mechanic showed me my broken motor mount, it was all torn, and there was some kind of fluid leaking from it.

Problem Solved!!!

It was such a pleasure driving it home just now!
Old 09-13-2007 | 11:32 PM

'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
Enjoy the smooth engine again! The mounts are fluid filled to help dampen vibrations. I had a 69 Camaro that use to shear motor mounts within a few thousands miles due to the torque until I switched to solid steel mounts. I almost wish Mercedes would do the same. These cheap rubber mounts break far too easily.