CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Just for conversation sake...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W215
Just for conversation sake...

So I created a thread a few days ago about my girlfriend spilling something on the gear selector. It turns out the reason why the car kept stalling at stop lights or idel was because the Crank Shaft Position Sensor was shot. I replaced it this weekend and the car has been fine ever sense.

Replacing it only cost $86.00 from the dealer. I replaced myself. I wonder why Mercedes didn't put it on the passanger side of the bell housing where there's so much more room to work.

Friday was worst the day in my life. I got out of work at 2:30pm. It took me 4hours to get home. I had to keep pulling over to let the engine cool so that it wouldn't stall on me in traffic.

I also replaced the spark plugs sense the car has 91k miles. I figured I'd take care of that sense they're due for replacement at 100k miles. I can't believe how easy this car is to work on(2000 clk 430).
Old 09-17-2007, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 SL55
too much of a hassle to do plugs...lol how long did it take you to change those 16 plugs?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
Compared to a BMW, Mercedes is a lot easier to work on and maintain.

BMW is very fragile and you have to extremely careful with them (speaking from experience). I used to own a E38 740iL (sold it 2 months ago). Noticed you have/had an e39.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W215
Originally Posted by Jessica90
Compared to a BMW, Mercedes is a lot easier to work on and maintain.

BMW is very fragile and you have to extremely careful with them (speaking from experience). I used to own a E38 740iL (sold it 2 months ago). Noticed you have/had an e39.
God, it took me about 3 hours to change out all 16 plugs. If I had to do it again I bet I can do it within an hour now, especially sense I know exactly what to do.

I've had my bmw for a while now. it's been pretty reliable so far. One thing I hate is that everything has to be coded. but you're right. I'm surprised this Mercedes V8 isn't to bad to maintain, unlike a bmw
Old 09-19-2007, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
Originally Posted by deuxslow
God, it took me about 3 hours to change out all 16 plugs. If I had to do it again I bet I can do it within an hour now, especially sense I know exactly what to do.

I've had my bmw for a while now. it's been pretty reliable so far. One thing I hate is that everything has to be coded. but you're right. I'm surprised this Mercedes V8 isn't to bad to maintain, unlike a bmw
In the beginning, my bmw was a living hell. Within the few weeks that I owned it, I had to put it up for sale because all the major problems started.

Couldn't sell it for the price I wanted it, so I decided to keep it and bought an aftermarket warranty (car had less than 100k miles). I had to wait 3-4 months before I was able to use the warranty to fix the problems. The car was standing on my driveway from Aug-Nov.

In Nov. it was towed to the mechanic and in mid Dec. I was able to pick up my car. Over $8k in repairs were done, including replacing the engine.

The car had so many problems that it was impossible to drive it for a week without something breaking.

In the end after literally everything possible was fixed, the car was an enjoyment. It was a feeling of perfection. This feeling of perfection lasted about 1.5 years. All I had done to the car after that was regular maintenance; brakes, oil change, etc...

The new owner who has my car now, is very lucky.