CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Amplifier Install Quesion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CLK430
Question Amplifier Install Quesion

Im in the process of purchasing 2 10" Alpine Type S Subs for my CLK (same as Bruce's). My dad and I are doing a lot of the custom work (the box, amp mount, wall, carpeting, porting, etc.) ourselves, probably going to leave the wiring to someone else because i dont want to mess around with the fiber optic stuff. My question is amplifiers: i was told by a high end stereo installation guy that only certain amplifiers will work with the fiberoptic stereo. He was telling me i need to go with JL Audio (funny how the only one that works is just magically the most expensive). Im pretty sure this guy is full of ****, but do i need to take anything into consideration when purchasing my amplifier, or will any amp work? Maybe you can help me out Bruce. Thanks in Advance.

Eric
Old 10-27-2002, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know much about my sound system . . . but I think any amplifier is just fine, I have preformant technique 800 watt and they hit pretty good.

-Bruce
Old 10-27-2002, 06:12 PM

2000 CLK 320
Let me take a shot at this....

As far as my understanding, there are two types of Bose Systems. Anyone reading, correct me if I'm wrong.

The analog Bose System (in my 2000 CLK) uses Fiber Optics (i.e. for the steering wheel controls, COMAND, CD Changer) but not for the amplifier. The sound source simply comes out of the COMAND or stock head unit (plug B) straight into the BOSE amplifier then to the speakers behind the rear passenger seats.

The other type of Bose System is digital and I believe can be found in certain MLs. The sound source behind the COMAND or stock head unit (??) does not exist and is part of the Fiber Optic system.

Both analog and digital Bose Systems, in 2000+ models, use the Fiber Optic or D2B systems therefore have the D2B/Fiber Optic connectors behind the COMAND or stock head unit. Again, only the digital Bose Systems have the sound source/signal incorporated into the D2B/Fiber optic system. Therefore, the AMP is also connected through the Fiber Optic system.

In your case, I believe CLKs have the analog Bose System therefore you can use any AMP as regular wires carry the sound signal from the head unit. This seems to agree with what Bruce said. If you want more info on the Digital and Analog Bose systems, I believe Richard (in the Audio and Electronics) forum can further help you. Good luck and let us know how it goes as I, also, am considering installing subs.
Old 10-27-2002, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CLK430
Re: Let me take a shot at this....

Originally posted by funky102
As far as my understanding, there are two types of Bose Systems. Anyone reading, correct me if I'm wrong.

The analog Bose System (in my 2000 CLK) uses Fiber Optics (i.e. for the steering wheel controls, COMAND, CD Changer) but not for the amplifier. The sound source simply comes out of the COMAND or stock head unit (plug B) straight into the BOSE amplifier then to the speakers behind the rear passenger seats.

The other type of Bose System is digital and I believe can be found in certain MLs. The sound source behind the COMAND or stock head unit (??) does not exist and is part of the Fiber Optic system.

Both analog and digital Bose Systems, in 2000+ models, use the Fiber Optic or D2B systems therefore have the D2B/Fiber Optic connectors behind the COMAND or stock head unit. Again, only the digital Bose Systems have the sound source/signal incorporated into the D2B/Fiber optic system. Therefore, the AMP is also connected through the Fiber Optic system.

In your case, I believe CLKs have the analog Bose System therefore you can use any AMP as regular wires carry the sound signal from the head unit. This seems to agree with what Bruce said. If you want more info on the Digital and Analog Bose systems, I believe Richard (in the Audio and Electronics) forum can further help you. Good luck and let us know how it goes as I, also, am considering installing subs.
thanks a bunch, this was also my understanding, that the subs would run independent of all fiberoptic wiring. Thanks, im going to move my question to the audio forum just to make sure. Once again, thanks guys.

Eric
Old 10-28-2002, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Re: Re: Let me take a shot at this....

Originally posted by Petie
thanks a bunch, this was also my understanding, that the subs would run independent of all fiberoptic wiring. Thanks, im going to move my question to the audio forum just to make sure. Once again, thanks guys.

Eric
i think the amp for the clk past MY99 has a fiber optic system.

but, you should be able to use whatever unit you want. you just have to know how to run the wiring. the easiest way, and the most cost effective way is to just split the rear deck speaker wires and run that as input for the amp.

that way, you can run whatever brand amp you want.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
Petie,
In defense of JL Audio; their products are amazing, I was running 2 JL amps in my Tahoe to MB Quarts and JL 12" subs, the sound is unbelievable. If you are interested in buying JL products, PM me, I have done a ton of research on the best places to get the best deals!
Good luck!!