CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

First Benz Is An AMG: WOW

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG Cabriolet
Cool First Benz Is An AMG: WOW

Convinced I needed an old Vette I reluctantly took this little black Mercedes Cabriolet this for a spin [2002 CLK55 AMG CAB]. Wow! It was love at 100+. I purchased it based purely on power, feel and looks. Now...finding more out about Mercedes and AMG I'm more thrilled than ever.

I'll post pics soon.

I have some rookie questions about my new baby that I'm hoping forum members can answer. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Some info on the Internet stated that my particular vehicle was 1 of only 1400 made and of those, only 800 were sold in the US. How can I verify this? VIN#?

What does it cost to have a basic tune up done? New plugs etc, what performance enhancements, can I get? ECU? Who? $?

Can I put 18in wheels on it? Is the car worth more with the 17in AMG wheels?

The front grill is missing a little black plastic piece that snaps between the fog lights. What is it called? Where can I get one?

Thanks! WOW
Old 10-26-2007, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Current: AMG GT-C. Sold: 01 CLK55, 00 ML55, 01 ML55, 06 E55
Hey, glad to have you aboard! I knew they're limited...i think chappy has the specs? 1400 sound about right. Lots of $$$ options for performance...few cheap options. You should put 19" wheels on it. Thats what ppl typically run. A few guys go big w/ 20's, a few stay on the safe side w/ 18's. But 19's are about right for good looks while retaining some practicality and comfort. Staggered setup is typical, 19x8.5 front and 19x9.5 or 10 rear. 235 35 19 front and 265 30 19 rear. You can do a search to find TONS of info and pics of different setups. People are always selling nice wheels in the classifieds here and @ benzworld.org
Old 10-26-2007, 10:37 AM

2002 CLK55 AMG, 2005 C240 4maitc
That would be me with the production numbers in the info...

Took some digging but Mercedes-AMG has confirmed them for me so i now have the exact numbers of production in my sig. But they would be slightly different for you since you have the cab. I think they made a few less of those then they did the coupes actually. One wonders how many are still driving around today. I'm sure a couple hundred of them have met an eairly death some way or another... *knock on wood*

A Spark plug/fluid/filter change will run you around 1k but its worth it.

As far as performance goes i have one word for you..... Kleeman. It doesn't come cheap and there are only a few other companies that make healthy performance enhancers for our car but the best by far is Kleeman. The full supercharger kit with headers, exhaust, etc... is around 15K but brings you to over 510hp. The ecu upgrade on its own is like $2,500 and boosts your hp +30 (i think?) Make sure you get the speed limiter taken off if you do those upgrades.

Da guitarist has got you covered on the wheel info and no, 18's or 19's do not bring the car's value down (as long as you don't damage the car with them) in some cases they bump the price up depending on what wheels but not always.

I forget the exact name for that bar but you can pic one up at the parts dept. at your local Merc Service center. I forget how much it was but i think it was in the ballpark of $200

Welcome to the AMG Bandwagon!

Last edited by rubberninja; 10-26-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, C63
Originally Posted by KickNBut
Convinced I needed an old Vette I reluctantly took this little black Mercedes Cabriolet this for a spin [2002 CLK55 AMG CAB]. Wow! It was love at 100+. I purchased it based purely on power, feel and looks. Now...finding more out about Mercedes and AMG I'm more thrilled than ever.

I'll post pics soon.

I have some rookie questions about my new baby that I'm hoping forum members can answer. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Some info on the Internet stated that my particular vehicle was 1 of only 1400 made and of those, only 800 were sold in the US. How can I verify this? VIN#?

What does it cost to have a basic tune up done? New plugs etc, what performance enhancements, can I get? ECU? Who? $?

Can I put 18in wheels on it? Is the car worth more with the 17in AMG wheels?

The front grill is missing a little black plastic piece that snaps between the fog lights. What is it called? Where can I get one?

Thanks! WOW
congrats on your new ride!

I have a few things which you might be interested in picking up:

1. the bottom horizontal piece which basically sits in between the fog lights. I am selling mine for $175.00

2. the CL-style "big star" grill which replaces your front grill. (this gives your car a more sporty look) $85.00 just look at Rubberninja's signature pic....same exact one.

3. the flat OEM Mercedes hood ornament which replaces the star that stands up on your hood. (if bought w/ the CL-style grill, I will sell as a package for $100.00)

Let me know if you are interested.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:56 AM
RDD

03 M3 coupe 6MT, 05 A6 (wife + kid's)
Originally Posted by OPALW208
congrats on your new ride!

I have a few things which you might be interested in picking up:

1. the bottom horizontal piece which basically sits in between the fog lights. I am selling mine for $175.00

2. the CL-style "big star" grill which replaces your front grill. (this gives your car a more sporty look) $85.00 just look at Rubberninja's signature pic....same exact one.

3. the flat OEM Mercedes hood ornament which replaces the star that stands up on your hood. (if bought w/ the CL-style grill, I will sell as a package for $100.00)

Let me know if you are interested.

Is the grill blacked out too or is it still regular chrome/polished silver? Can't totally tell from rubberninja's pic.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:59 AM

RED CLK 430 Coupe
Careful with the 19's, it really depends on where you live.
I'm in Jersey and the roads get bad. I can't go below a 40 side wall without bending rims like it's my job~!