CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

uhg...... tow bill. Wanna help me figure this out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 08:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 c240
uhg...... tow bill. Wanna help me figure this out?

F*(&^%$# just had to be towed home!

After a year of trouble free service the Benz gave up it's skeletons from the closet. Nothing mechanical or major thank goodness (well IMO nothing major anyway).

The key fob refused to do the "handshake" with the ECU and denied the ignition. The keyless is also not working so it is either in the receiver or the transmitter. (it's either the black box, or the FOB)

Likely just a bad fob, this one has been beaten (i'm hard on my keys) so I probably caused the issue. Over the last 3 days I have had to get very close to the car to unlock it and had to stick the fob in the ignition a few times to get it to hand shake. ...........kinda saw this one coming. Figured it was just dead batteries though in the FOB (screw that theory.... two new sets did not work). Might be the IR led in the fob.....

Breaking out the DMM and going to work.... back soon!

If anyone has experienced the car not starting by way of the FOB not activating the ignition to unlock the steering wheel AND the keyless not working LMK what you know about it PLS!
Old 11-21-2007, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
Originally Posted by The Jury
F*(&^%$# just had to be towed home!

After a year of trouble free service the Benz gave up it's skeletons from the closet. Nothing mechanical or major thank goodness (well IMO nothing major anyway).

The key fob refused to do the "handshake" with the ECU and denied the ignition. The keyless is also not working so it is either in the receiver or the transmitter. (it's either the black box, or the FOB)

Likely just a bad fob, this one has been beaten (i'm hard on my keys) so I probably caused the issue. Over the last 3 days I have had to get very close to the car to unlock it and had to stick the fob in the ignition a few times to get it to hand shake. ...........kinda saw this one coming. Figured it was just dead batteries though in the FOB (screw that theory.... two new sets did not work). Might be the IR led in the fob.....

Breaking out the DMM and going to work.... back soon!

If anyone has experienced the car not starting by way of the FOB not activating the ignition to unlock the steering wheel AND the keyless not working LMK what you know about it PLS!
Did you check your key battery? Mine was replaced while ago when the key weakly responding locking/unlocking the car. Everything works fine then
Old 11-21-2007, 08:41 PM

2002 c240
Well it's not the FOB.

Dunno if any of you know this but any video camera can pick up on IR signals. Saves a lot of time wondering if you have a bad fob and paying $300 for one when you don't need it.

Give me some fuses or relays to check or the location of the IR receiver (what I really wanna know).

Here's what happens when your fob is working:

Old 11-21-2007, 11:20 PM

2002 c240
Which ECU is this? (for what) It is in the pass footwell. http://www.autotekelectronics.co.uk/...=307&MakeID=30
Old 11-22-2007, 02:40 AM

2002 c240
From my schematics, I see there is a SAMS module the controls the ignition lock and the keyless. I also see this has a fuse, but I cannot locate the fuse anywhere, any ideas?

Any further ideas would be helpful too

Old 11-22-2007, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
what your video camera reveals is far from conclusive as to whether it is
functioning properly, merely that the IR is blinking. It does little to verify
the accuracy of the binary coding which should be emitted.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
Originally Posted by The Jury
From my schematics, I see there is a SAMS module the controls the ignition lock and the keyless. I also see this has a fuse, but I cannot locate the fuse anywhere, any ideas?

Any further ideas would be helpful too
i'm far from expert at reading schematics....but wondering why the fuse wouldn't
be #13 in the box? what does your fuse map show as being controlled by #13?